Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Malting Barley for Michigan guys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Jhoss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Malting Barley for Michigan guys

I just put in a strip of winter barley. Took me a while to research, order and get it, bit I have 50 lbs of Endeavor winter malting barley, way more that I need for sure. If you are a gardener, food plotter, farmer, and want some seed, get ahold of me. Just looking to mitigate my costs if possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
ShootsNRoots
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You could malt the remaining seed (unless it's treated) or save it for next year. Endeavor is a great variety for malting.

Would you PM where you got it from?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Jhoss
Recipes 

Default Yeah - Well Aware...

Because I'm just into growing things like trees (oaks, apples, nut trees), vegetables, berries, grains (wheat,oats,buckwheat, rye), flowers - especially perenial wildflowers, hops - I wanted some of my own barley to reproduce maybe for years on end as I hombrew beer as well. The seed does look treated with some red powder coat of some sort. Regarding not malting because of the treatment coat - I would think that would be washed away with the malting process. Might add some "complexity" to the beer too eh? Ha!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Jhoss
Recipes 

Default 10 X 100 = 1000 sq. feet

Old 09-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
walte1fr
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm what part of michigan? Maybe I could throw it in my dads garden. I've never harvested it before though and not sure how to malt it. But I could always learn. Whats the cost?

Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
walte1fr
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also can this be done by hand? I don't have any equipment. I was thinking about asking my neighbor farmers to plant 1 row of barley for me and see if I could get a bunch of 2 row. Just need to research how to harvest it.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Jhoss
Recipes 

Default Barley info

Sure it can be done by hand! And man - the germination rate on this is recorded at 97% and I believe that's true as mine is already up and growing in thick - looks like every seed is doing it! Just break some ground broadcast some seed - rake it in to settle it a bit and wait for rain.

I planted Thursday Sept 12th (in the rain) - could see sprouts on Tuesday. More rain coming today (Sept 19th) and Tomorrow. Off to a great start!

I'm in Auburn Hills daytimes - Ortonville nightimes.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
allynlyon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoss View Post
I just put in a strip of winter barley. Took me a while to research, order and get it, bit I have 50 lbs of Endeavor winter malting barley, way more that I need for sure. If you are a gardener, food plotter, farmer, and want some seed, get ahold of me. Just looking to mitigate my costs if possible.
I am in Indiana and was considering growing some winter barely as a crop cover, and as a bonus I can then malt it and brew with it. Is that what you are doing also? I am brand new and just looking into this but it looks like it could be fun. That being said I garden entirely in raised beds. I have 4- 5x10 ft raised beds. I wonder if that is even enough to bother with?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Jhoss
Recipes 

Default Here's an update on the winter barley

Growing real good.
@Ally - yes, I am growing this with the hope of harvesting some for home malting and for replanting as grain is good for wildlife - the deer, phesants, turkeys, squirrels - they love me - yeah - they really do.

And here comes some heat and rain - it is outgrowing my rye, wheat and oats for sure.

Jim

Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynlyon View Post
I am in Indiana and was considering growing some winter barely as a crop cover, and as a bonus I can then malt it and brew with it. Is that what you are doing also? I am brand new and just looking into this but it looks like it could be fun. That being said I garden entirely in raised beds. I have 4- 5x10 ft raised beds. I wonder if that is even enough to bother with?
Great for a cover crop, as a green manure. If you want the grain from this, be prepared to have the space it is in unavailable for other gardening until early to mid July
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply