Male vs Female Hops plants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told that all hop plants are female. So says a hop farm in Oregon.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

2014MALEHOP.jpg

The above photo is a picture of a Male Hop plant before I cut it down. It shows the hop pods that are in the middle of releasing their pollen which can travel 10 miles to pollinate the female hop plant. I was laid up after and auto accident this year and my Hop Garden was unattended for a couple of months. When I finally was up and around, I found this huge Male Hop. I got covered in Hop pollen while cutting it down.

The last time I had a male hop plant, my harvested hop cones had huge seeds in them. I am raising one of the hops from seed. It is a cross between an EKG and a Sunbeam. I use the hops to my my Irish Red....

The above photo is a picture of a Male Hop plant before I cut it down. It shows the hop pods that are in the middle of releasing their pollen which can travel 10 miles to pollinate the female hop plant. I was laid up after and auto accident this year and my Hop Garden was unattended for a couple of months. When I finally was up and around, I found this huge Male Hop. I got covered in Hop pollen while cutting it down.

The last time I had a male hop plant, my harvested hop cones had huge seeds in them. I am raising one of the hops from seed. It is a cross between an EKG and a Sunbeam. I use the hops to my my Irish Red....

Which of the two is it that you believe is a male plant, because both of those are female cultivars (i.e. any male flowers produced by either cultivar are likely to be sterile, which means one is not what you were told it was.)

Which of the two is it that you believe is a male plant, because both of those are female cultivars (i.e. any male flowers produced by either cultivar are likely to be sterile, which means one is not what you were told it was.)

Interesting. I ordered 2 EKG rhizomes about 8 years ago. One of the 2 was male...... I was advised that it was simply a female in trauma and would return to female the next year....it did not. In fact, after three years, I had all these little baby hops coming up from seed. I destroyed the male after that. But I did raise 8 of the baby hops.....4 turned out to be male and I destroyed those. One of the 4 female plants was a bush and did not put out the long bines. I am down to 2 of them now. Made beer with my 8 ounce harvest last year. The hops have no citrus taste or aroma. Seem to be closer to a german nobel hop or EKG. So the male hop that started all of this may not have been an EKG....I don't know, but the Mother was the Sunbeam, cuz the babies all came up under that plant.

In summary, I do not know what the male is, but I know it was NOT sterile.

That's interesting. What's the color like on that plant? Are the hops tasty? I just used sunbeam in a blonde and it turned out alright.

Back