Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Maine Lasagna Hop Garden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #11
AlCophile
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

I raised Sugar Snaps one year and the so-called 6' vines topped out at 12'. So......where I needed a pole, I first dug a deep, narrow hole. A piece of rebar chops up the soil and it is easily remove with an old shop vac. Careful of electric shock! then I got 3" (or bigger)pvc pipe, where else, the town dump. Put the pipe in the hole and back-fill it. Tamp it hard. Then, put some drainable fill, like gravel, into pipe(I made a retrievable spacer of pvc). Then, go into woods and cut some long, thin poles. Skin and dry them. A coat of WaterSeal can't hurt. Now, you have removable, replaceable poles. Take 'em out after harvest and let them dry.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 2642

Greetings, fellow Mainer!

I've started all my rhizomes in a pot indoors then planted them around the first of June. Of course I just basically dug a hole in the ground and put them in (potting soil and all).. :-)

If you know anyone with rabbits, offer to haul away the rabbit poop for no charge and mix it into your soil.. that crap (ha!) is magic fertilizer, and it's not so nitrogen-strong that it burns up plants.

Good luck!

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Brizzo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

COUNTY MAINER! I am not sure about rabbit manure, but I do have access to unlimited cow and horse. Plus I have a pretty sweet compost system going.

I am hoping that everything produces well- I planted my Great Lakes Hops crowns (Chinook and Nugget) and they both broke ground the next day.

I get up to the county quite a bit actually for work, thank goodness they raised the speed limit north of old town, now I have to hit 105 before its criminal speed lol

Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Next time I am in the neighborhood I will stop by

Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #15
SAMPLER
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cool method. Wish i had the space to give it a shot. I'm working with 3 year old plants and looking for a great season.

Good luck

Primary: Madbiers Weizen
Brizzo Likes This 
Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzo View Post
COUNTY MAINER! I am not sure about rabbit manure, but I do have access to unlimited cow and horse. Plus I have a pretty sweet compost system going.

I am hoping that everything produces well- I planted my Great Lakes Hops crowns (Chinook and Nugget) and they both broke ground the next day.

I get up to the county quite a bit actually for work, thank goodness they raised the speed limit north of old town, now I have to hit 105 before its criminal speed lol
I know, right? Can you imagine? Hops in the Frozen Tundra!? LOL

Cow (and probably horse) manure needs to be composted, or at least "aged" before you can us it. We have access to a ton of that as well, but we don't do a very good job of planning ahead for it... so instead, we made nice with a local 4-H group who has a ton of bunnies. A couple years ago I dumped a few hundred pounds of bunny poo in the food garden and holy crap! (no pun intended), that sh*t (no pun intended) made all the difference in the world. It certainly beat out Miracle-grow.

So now you've motivated me to start working on a composting system. Ugh. Another project. Thanks.

Next time you're planning a trip up this way, let me know. We live, literally, half a mile from Exit 302.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #17
Brizzo
Recipes 

A couple hundred pounds of bunny manure? Those were some busy bunnies! I am using pretty fresh cow manure in these beds but I am not too concerned because it is just a layer sandwiched in between a bunch of other materials.

I will have to reach out to you when I get back up there, I would be interested in checking out how you are growing your hops- and to steal a home brew of course!

Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #18
Brizzo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCophile View Post
I raised Sugar Snaps one year and the so-called 6' vines topped out at 12'. So......where I needed a pole, I first dug a deep, narrow hole. A piece of rebar chops up the soil and it is easily remove with an old shop vac. Careful of electric shock! then I got 3" (or bigger)pvc pipe, where else, the town dump. Put the pipe in the hole and back-fill it. Tamp it hard. Then, put some drainable fill, like gravel, into pipe(I made a retrievable spacer of pvc). Then, go into woods and cut some long, thin poles. Skin and dry them. A coat of WaterSeal can't hurt. Now, you have removable, replaceable poles. Take 'em out after harvest and let them dry.
I am have tempted to change my system to incorporate something similar. I have a ton of trees along the rock walls that border my field that would make perfect poles. I could easily cut an unlimited amount of these trees and bury them next to each rhizome and run a string from the top of the pole to the plant. As the poles rot I could incorporate them into the lasagna garden as a "hugelkultur" type garden.

But then again I do have access to a bunch of cedar that would last longer and reduce my yearly maintenance on the hop yard.

But it would be pretty cool to change the name of the thread to "hugelkultur hop garden!"

Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #19
Brizzo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldood View Post
Next time I am in the neighborhood I will stop by
Absolutely! I am in New Sharon so it is not far. I guess I need to get some more home-brew going, my kegerator is running low.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #20
Brizzo
Recipes 

So I received a surprise package from Halifax Hops today, Ray accidentally re-sent 5 cascade hop rhizomes to me. Ray told me to keep them and enjoy! so what a great way to start the day, but that meant I had to expand my cascade row to 30' from 15'.

dsc00600.jpg   dsc00601.jpg  

Quick Reply