The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Looking For Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
smokysalsa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking For Hops

this is my first year brewing, was wondering where i can buy hop plants at, and what kind i should look for ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
smokysalsa
Recipes 

never mind some one already asked this i just seen

Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Hops grow from rhizomes, and those are sold in the spring. Only the female hops plants produce the hops flowers (cones) that are used in brewing. Here's a link to a place that sells rhizomes: Freshops Rhizome Varieties

Keep in mind your climate- some hops grow better in different climates. My cascades did very well and my halletau did "ok". Cascades tend to be a high-yield plant, though, while hallertauer is a "low yield". I got about 8 ounces of dried hallertau and 16 ounces (dried) of cascades this year, the second year.

They grow about 25 tall each season, and die back each fall. I had the hallertau grow up my telephone pole in my yard, while the cascades were on a trellis.

It's impossible to know the AAUs of homegrown hops (without sending them to a lab) so I'm planning on using them for flavor and aroma. I'm thinking about other varieties of aroma/flavor hops that I like.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can buy them at a lot of homebrew shops and online stores like fresh hops. You don't buy a plant, you buy a rizome which is a section of the plant from underground, like a fat root, and the plant grows from it. Of course you can't buy them at all right now, you gotta wait till spring.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is there interest in trading rhizomes? I have some older hops and they spread aggressively and I have pruned them in years past. I could just as easily trade them for other varieties.

Quick Reply