The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Are last year's hops toast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Damonic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Are last year's hops toast?

Otay... I planted 5 different rhizomes last year in pots that were clearly too small. I knew I'd be moving last summer/fall to a big roomy farm and so I figured this would be the 'mobile' approach. Needless to say that despite my best of intentions I did not take care of my babies too well. Watering was inconsistent but they did get plenty of sun. They each ended the season at a measly 2' tall. The cold weather took care of the bines and I didn't bother to cut them back since there really wasn't all that much in the first place. They weathered the winter in a barn kept at about 40 degrees and I JUST remembered them.

How can I tell if they are still viable? Should I remove the rhizomes for inspection and then replant properly in the ground? Should I leave them in the small pots, water them, and see if Mr. Sun does his thing? Should I plant the entire thing (minus pot) in the ground so as not to disturb the little roots? I know I could just wait and see but if they're toast then I'd like to get an order in time for new rhizomes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm willing to guess that your rhizomes are just fine.

I had two that I planted that were 3' and 2' at the end of last fall. They weathered the winter just as yours did (though I actually had to kick them out into the cold half way through ) and both sprouted yesterday after being replanted and subjected to intense fluorescent light (2x 40W bulb 4" away) for 5 days straight.

I would recommend transplanting them while they are dormant. There's more danger to transplanting after they've sprouted.

Kyle

Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Small pots = root bound. Remove them and replant properly. Just dig holes that are wide enough to spread the roots out. The main root should be 2-3" down.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-21-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

first thing is water if thay were in a barn all winter that have not had any water thay can die in the dormant season if thay completly dehydrate

i wintered a few hops in 15 gal pots , thay are growing just fine but i left them out in the weather ice storm and all

Old 03-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
WVHops
Recipes 

Default my 2 cents

As everyone has stated your okay unless they completely dried out which is not likely. Any of the suggestions above are viable, my only addition is maybe a little 16-16-16 slow release on TOP of the soil. And I know this sounds stupid, people do it, just transplant everything but the pot. Don't break it up and go looking for new growth..plant no like.
Stephen
WVHOPS

Quick Reply