The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Just ordered my first hop rhizome now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Tilldeath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just ordered my first hop rhizome now what?

So I ordered my first rhizome and now I need to know when I plant for Colorado, what type of soil to use for my planter, and when I get it do I just put it in the fridge until planting time?? Thanks

“If we will disbelieve everything, because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much what as wisely as he who would not use his legs, but sit still and perish, because he had no wings to fly.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
gartj
Recipes 

Make sure it's wrapped in a damp paper towel and keep it in the fridge. After this weekends weather you could have planted it and it would have been fine.
Dig a fairly large whole and take half of the clay and put somewhere else. Amend the other half with some compost or WELL rotted manure. Fill the whole back in and plant the rhizome. Be sure your putting it in an area that will recieve alot of sun and make sure it's watered regularly. I've got 4 4 yr. old bines and 3 more that are a year old. Excellent yields last season.

Old 03-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Tilldeath
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

awesome thanks a ton, I'll get mine planted this week as soon as this weather passes and I get my rhizome!

“If we will disbelieve everything, because we cannot certainly know all things, we shall do much what as wisely as he who would not use his legs, but sit still and perish, because he had no wings to fly.”

Quick Reply