New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Japanese beetles War

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
twhite315@gmail.com
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Japanese beetles War

I got back from a trip to PA this weekend and saw a swarm of bugs around my hop garden and plum tree. At a closer look I come to find that the Japanese beetles have infested my hop plant and plum tree down to almost nothing. Oh Sh**! not my Hops! There were hundreds of beetles eating and mating on my plants. My deck was covered in beetle poo and plant material they didn’t want to eat. It was a disgusting sight!
I ran to the hardware store as fast as I could to purchase some weapons to fight the infestation. Every minute counts. I came home with Seven ( powder insect killer for vegetable gardens) and some off brand sprayer you attach to your garden hose. They both claim to kill bugs in minutes. I wasn’t happy about putting chemicals on my hops, however I had no choice.
Operation Hop freedom was in full force. Up went the ladder and out came the white powder onto the hop plants. Minutes later, phase two. I attached the sprayer to my hose and attacked the plum tree. The Japanese Beetles were surprised. Their counter attack was total chaos! They had no idea what hit them. Within minutes they started falling out of the hop and plum tree by the hundreds. There were Japanese Beetles bodies everywhere. I knew cleanup was going to be a mess but I think the hops will survive. The plum tree got hit badly, but I don’t usually make beer out of plums. Or can I.
After it was all over I had only been hit a few times by kamikaze beetles. Damage was minimal. One did go down my shirt however. The next day the few remaining survivors did attack my basal plants just to piss me off. I powdered them too. I am not sure what to expect when I get home tonight.
Out of all this does anyone know what non chemical product I can put on my hop plants to stop this needless attack?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 463 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhite315@gmail.com View Post
Out of all this does anyone know what non chemical product I can put on my hop plants to stop this needless attack?
I have no advice to offer, I'm afraid. I just wanted to say how much I'm looking forward to the movie of the book!

Does this dress make my willy look big? ~ Ben Franklin

Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I inspect my hops daily and carry a spray bottle of liquid sevin. When I see a beetle, I spray it, but not the whole plant. In your case though, it sounds like you had no choice.

Last edited by Evets; 07-31-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
The Soft Underbelly
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've read about people putting garlic cloves, hot peppers, onion in a blender with a quart or two of water, letting that steep a night or two, straining it through a coffee filter and spraying it on. not sure what that would do to the flavor of the hops though if used late in the season just before harvest. some people use nicotine in this concoction too (chaw spit possibly?)

The Safer people make an organic pest killer which i believe is insecitcidal soap and pyrethium (sp?) which as i understand it, while a manufactured chemical, is naturally occurring compund in chrysanthemums. It's widely reputed to be harmless to mammals and I've used it with some degree of success, although you'll need to re-apply once a week while the beetles are around.

I've taken to crushing these f-ers between my thumb and forefinger, makes me feel like a big man.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Sevin (also known as carbaryl) is a relatively safe insecticide. It has been used for years indoors on dogs and cats for fleas, and you can actually shake it into your carpet to kill the little devils.

Sevin is a cholinesterase inhibitor, which means it stops the uptake of cholinesterase in the cell structure. It works so quickly that you will often see the ground covered in dead bugs very shortly after you spray.

I'm thinking that the amount of weather you'll get on your plants between now and harvest will pretty much minimize any carryover or residue in your hops.

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Try something like this:

http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/BagABug/

You can get them pretty much anywhere you get home + garden stuff and I dont think they have to be this brand but something similar.

I know my parents use them out in the country to get rid of theirs all summer. Make sure you put these "bags" a ways away from what you DONT want them to eat because they ATTRACT bug then kill them. SO you're going to get more bugs coming towards them but it will keep them away from your hops if you put them far enough away.

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 AM   #7
karbinator
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

sevin for the "right now" effect.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #8
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

That was written outstanding. Like a Grandfather enthusiastically telling his grandkids about fighting the krauts or something. I was on the edge of my chair the whole time.
Ok not really the edge. More like reclined with my feet up. BUT GOOD NON THE LESS!! Get them evil bastids!!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 AM   #9
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bacillus thuringiensis will kill them as well as many other bugs. It isn't instantaneous. They eat it, then hours later they stop eating and die. The bacteria is packaged in a powdered product that looks like talcum powder.

One brand that I used successfully is called Dipel Dust. Check your lawn and garden stores that stock organic non-chemical pesticides. I doubt you'll find it at HD or Lowes. I use it to kill cutworms on my tomato plants. It can be used right up until harvest and is not dangerous to humans, although I would certainly rinse the hops after harvest regardless.

There are also many plants that the Japanese Beetle doesn't like to eat. You can plant these around your hop plants to discourage the little buggers. See this link:

Pest Control for Japanese Beetle

Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #10
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3041 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOB View Post
Make sure you put these "bags" a ways away from what you DONT want them to eat because they ATTRACT bug then kill them. SO you're going to get more bugs coming towards them but it will keep them away from your hops if you put them far enough away.
Exactly. Baiting always seems like a poor idea to me when you are trying to kill off the bugs in the first place. I understand that the bait and kill works, but there is always a percentage that don't take the bait and stay on your plants. Bring more in with the attractant just ups the percentage of bugs that may or may not be killed by the bait.

It's loose / loose in my mind.

Quick Reply