Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Japanese Beetle Report

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
Reno_Raines
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Japanese Beetle Report

Japanese Beetles are eating here in central Iowa. They attack my Chinook hops first, then go for the grapes. I also have Cascade and Mt. Hood, they never bother them. Anybody else experience this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have Cascade here in PA and they do indeed eat them...voraciously.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 07-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
cram
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just read in Mother Earth News (June/July 2011) some techniques for controlling Japanese beetles with organic methods. It talked about chickens, ducks, and guinea fowl as great predators in the spring for the beetle larva. Also mentioned was creating habitat, such as bird houses, etc., for nesting pairs of robins and blue birds, which feed the insect to their young. Trap crops, like raspberries, might be something to consider, too. The article said that many commonly used prevention methods, like garlic-pepper spray, milky spore disease, pheromone traps and row covers, had high failure rates.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
I just read in Mother Earth News (June/July 2011) some techniques for controlling Japanese beetles with organic methods. It talked about chickens, ducks, and guinea fowl as great predators in the spring for the beetle larva. Also mentioned was creating habitat, such as bird houses, etc., for nesting pairs of robins and blue birds, which feed the insect to their young. Trap crops, like raspberries, might be something to consider, too. The article said that many commonly used prevention methods, like garlic-pepper spray, milky spore disease, pheromone traps and row covers, had high failure rates.
Spring methods do nothing for Japanese Beetles. The beetle larvae go underground in mid to late summer and do not emerge until the following summer. So unless those ducks and foul can pick up a shovel and scoop to get at the grubs, not much help in that respect.

Nematodes and milky spore have also not shown to be effective against them despite the common suggestion of use in organic articles.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Kaz
Recipes 

You can use pheromone traps to lure the beetles away from your hops (or other infested plants), the problem is that they can lure beetles to your yard from pretty far away and in the long run lead to a worse problem. One of the biggest hurdles to controlling Japanese Beetles is that they live in and hatch out of the ground, you can only control the grub population in your yard, if your neighbor doesn't or even several houses down you will still have Japanese beetles.

Primary 2:

Old 07-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
You can use pheromone traps to lure the beetles away from your hops (or other infested plants), the problem is that they can lure beetles to your yard from pretty far away and in the long run lead to a worse problem. One of the biggest hurdles to controlling Japanese Beetles is that they live in and hatch out of the ground, you can only control the grub population in your yard, if your neighbor doesn't or even several houses down you will still have Japanese beetles.
Yep, GrubX in late summer every year... and talk all of your neighbors into it too, even if it means you taking a spreader over and doing their yard.

And talk the neighbors at the other end of the block into those pheromone traps

Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Caboose
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Ive been having issues as well here in southern KY, try either Seven Dust...I know some people dont like the stuff. If you dont there is a new item I have found that is food grade.

Food grade diatomaceous earth. Its basically ground up fossils. It'll kill all kinds of small pests, I used it for ticks and fleas first and it did wonders. Its even safe to feed to dogs. Mine had fleas really bad, even to the point they had eaten some. I was afraid they would get tape worm so I read you can feed it to dogs and it will make sure they dont get the worms. Its amazing stuff. Just sprinkle it on the plants and it will kill the bugs and larva.

Primary: Speckled Heifer/Apfelwein
Secondary: Irish Red

Old 07-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Rostabosta
Recipes 

Here in Iowa as well, they are chewing up my cascade, Willamette and centennial.

I go out most every night and brush them off into a bowl of soapy water. It kills them but over all seems kind of futile, but feel like it helps. They're really docile around 8pm or so.

Can get about 10 a night this way.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Kaz
Recipes 

The grubs can be nasty, they literally killed our entire back yard last year. We had to rake out and re-seed about .25 acres and they had started on the front yard. We discovered the infestation in September, the grubs were quite close to the surface then and we applied a straight up grub killing poison. 12 hours later, hundreds if not thousands of dead and/or dying grubs coming up out of the ground. It was a shame, when we moved into this house 2 years ago, the lawn almost looked like a golf course. Sadly, that is what the beetles look for to lay their eggs...lush green lawns, go figure. Now that we have half of the yard green again, we treated with GrubEx in mid-May and will continue to do so. But like Randar and I said, its only good for your yard and you can't make your neighbors put it down. Pulling the beetles off and putting them into soapy water is the best bet for small infestations, but you have to keep on top of them. I've found that even a few beetles can't make a mess of hop leaves and cones.

Primary 2:

Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Randar

Recipes 

I do the beetle-into-soapy-water thing as well, but really, the beetles congregate on my pole beans and rose bush, so I have found that keeping something they like even better than the hops in very close proximity has been the most effective method of keeping them off the hops.

Companion planting has worked for me so far the past 4 years.

hannibalsbrews Likes This 

Quick Reply