Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Japan Hops Trading - 日本でホプスやりとり

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #51
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well, here is an update with pictures! I had to pull the cuttings from the yard next door - the owner only wants weeds growing it turns out. Motainai! Centennial is starting to flower finally! everything is quite healthy and I am no longer in fear of losing my homestead hops (for now). That Sterling is doing nicely now as well! The Magnum has a buddy, a pickling cucumber is climbing up with the bines Maybe I can make a cucumber beer sometime?
Anyone else having flowering yet?

I would upload into an album on HBT but one file at a time is a PITA so here is a link to the Gplus album.

EDIT - first photos in the album are from a few years back, showing the homestead hops in their glory at my great grandfathers homestead. Someday I hope they will become strong like that here in Japan!

https://plus.google.com/photos/11232...CP7htP6ZpfqoNw

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #52
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Hops and -!SPIDER MITE UPDATE!-

Guys a heads up that I found some spider mites on my Magnum here. Please check any plants you have gotten from me to be safe. I took the cuttings long before any sign of mites and they were stored away from the main plant so it should be fine. I am going to spray a mild dish soap solution on the plant and monitor it - now that it has started to flower I don't want to be using the hardcore insecticides on it.

-Centennial is healthy and continues to flower. I had been marking the white rope every day where the growing tips were and it was doing about 8 cm of growth daily (up to the point where I could no longer reach the growing tip to mark it).

-Sterling is now 5 feet tall with one bine only but still has small leaves. It is in a smallish planter, I will give it much more room next season.

-"Homestead" has hit its stride and is running two bines about 6 feet high and a few little side branches off the base of the bines. It seems to be completely free of mites for the last 3 weeks. I am starting to get hope of maybe getting some cones this year! - It seems that the increased vigor started when some tomatoes grew tall enough to shade this plants base - I think all of the healthiest plants I have are growing in partial shade with only the bines reaching into full sun.

The "extras" - mixed cuttings of centennial and magnum - are sitting in ice cream containers behind the house. I have not watered them or done anything to take care of them for a month and they look very healthy. I will plant them around my town sometime, probably up in the hills. Let them go wild in an area that is full of weeds and see if they can compete.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #53
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Grow update time!

Magnum took the spider mites like a champ, I didn't use pesticides but they subsided with a couple mistings of water. Hops are mature and ready to pick today.

Centennial - I have selectively picked off a handful of ready cones and will pick more today. After watching some harvest videos I had to sit on my hands and wait for them to be ready... patience.

Sterling - Looks like it wont flower this year, but has gotten comfortable and grown up into the shrub/tree next to it. Probably 8 feet tall now on one bine.

Homestead - I am now sure that the shade did wonders for the plant. It is healthy and even has a handful of cones on it. It is almost under perpetual cover now. The bottle gourds (hyoutan) ran rampant across the ropes and the tomatoes shield 90% of the sun.

All the plants got an application of seaweed collected from the beach nearby (rinsed the salt off and let it soak in fresh water for a day). Some epsom salts for magnesium also got sprayed on the leaves. My "general purpose" fertilizer does not have micro nutrients in it or even any of the secondary macros (calcium magnesium) so that was causing some nutrient imbalances for my whole garden. You might want to check if you are using fertilizers, to see if you have what the plants need.

How are the hops gardens in other parts of the country now? Its rained a lot down south so I am curious how they held up.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #54
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

How'd everyone fare with this extreme weather? I hope everyone is OK there were like half a million people evacuated for typhoon 18! Hops in my yard are now overgrown with hyoutan, bottle gourd plants are up to 12 meters long. The hops are fine under them, but I am done harvesting anything now.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #55
Guzzibrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Brewer in Fukuoka looking for hop plants.

Great thread.

It seems there is a real community growing hops here in Japan. I would love to join you all. I just finished building my house and I included anchor points on the eaves of my house 5 meters from the ground so I could string up bines to grow hops on.

Now I need some plants. Anyone sending out cuttings next spring? I'd be happy to pay for them, or if you are interested I have stumbled upon a lot of corny kegs (pin and ball lock) and I'd be willing to trade a few.

Also is there anyone in Kyushu growing hops? How do they handle the summer here?

Old 11-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #56
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Guzzibrew I may have some rhizomes available and will post around Feb or early March when I check their viability. I cut quite a few this past spring and stunted my plants a bit so this year I will cut a little less. Hopefully other people in here have had success establishing their plants. I haven't accepted payment other than shipping costs, although for a keg trade I could get you Centennial and Magnum no problem! That seems more than a fair trade!

Some people in Kyushu grow, but the typhoons are a real threat. A setup that can be taken down and laid flat on the ground during storms will reduce wind damage, and can be complimented by laying one of those "bird nets" overtop.
The other threat is the heat. Even where I am in Yokosuka the plants do significantly better in a site that has shade during the summer, and will go into heat stress and almost a dormant state if exposed to full sun during July/August.
Cheers!
B

Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #57
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry for the massive delay in posting. I've been uber busy since September with no real end in sight!

I grew three kinds in giant planters this summer. Magnum and centennial from Brendan and Shin Suwase and centennial from another friend. I actually ended up with about 20gs of dried hops when all was said and done. Everything grew up to the second floor balcony of my house.

Luckily, we avoided any serious weather problems. In fact, all of my crops did a lot better than usual. Fingers crossed for more luck next year.

Since I started out with only a few small rhizomes it's probably not possible for me to make any cuttings next year but I'll check it out and report back.

Thanks again Brendan!

Old 11-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #58
Mindsculptor
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

American here. I'm wondering just how many Japanese varietels of hops there are, as I've only heard of Sorachi Ace. At any rate, I wish you all good luck in your upcoming growing seasons, as I know how much of a pain plants can be.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:49 AM   #59
ShizuokaBrad
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shin Shuwase is another Japanese hop.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #60
Guzzibrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OppamaBrendan,

Missed your post, so I'm a bit late getting back to you.

I haven't accepted payment other than shipping costs, although for a keg trade I could get you Centennial and Magnum no problem! That seems more than a fair trade!

Send me a PM and I'll see what I can do!

As far as the sun goes they'll be growing on the west side of the house sheltered from morning sun by a bamboo grove and afternoon sun by the house. They will be open to the south for part of the day but I'm sure I can give them some shade. How do you shade yours?

When I built my house I intentionally installed eyebolts under my eaves so I can raise and lower bines for plants to climb on. It's 3 floors from the eaves to the ground so they'll have some room to grow.

GB

Quick Reply