Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Japan Hops Trading - 日本でホプスやりとり

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #31
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I got some root hormone yesterday, everything is still dormant but my ume tree is starting to grow flower buds. Has anyone done cuttings in Japan before? I would like to know when is the best time to do so, I can follow American guidelines but I don't really know what growing zone we would correspond to in Kanagawa.
Cheers,
B

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #32
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What is root hormone called here? I've always wondered. My wife's farming family didn't seem to understand what I was looking for.

If they're anything like hops, I think as soon as there is not threat of frost, you'd be ok. But you should definitely not take my word for that.

--------------------------------------------------

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things." --George Carlin

Old 02-03-2013, 12:52 AM   #33
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Woops, I meant to write that I was curious as to when is the best time for cutting the hops rhizome here. So I guess late February should be fine I think the worst of winter is over already.

Most farms wouldn't need a root hormone unless they have an orchard or vineyard or other plants that require cloning. Greenhouse operations are more likely to carry it. Here is some of the text from the ルートン package I bought on Amazon:
さし木の発根促進剤 さしきのはっこんそくしんざい ルートン
ナフチルアセトミド 0.4%
鉱物質 こうぶつしつ 99.6%

A bit of a neat trick for plant growth hormones is to steal them from another plant - there are several good "donor" plants for this. The actively growing branch tips from a willow tree (salix sp) steeped in warm water for a day or more makes willow water. If you are near the ocean you can get some brown seaweed (the stuff with a ton of branches) and rinse the salt off, then blend or make a slurry with it.

I used the willow water this summer and managed to get half of a leaf from a hop plant to grow roots, but there are only a couple of sickly looking willows in my area so I bought powder which I can use anytime without the prep.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #34
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppamaBrendan
Woops, I meant to write that I was curious as to when is the best time for cutting the hops rhizome here. So I guess late February should be fine I think the worst of winter is over already.
I thought you were looking to get rhizomes. Are you already growing hops?

Quote:
Most farms wouldn't need a root hormone unless they have an orchard or vineyard or other plants that require cloning. Greenhouse operations are more likely to carry it. Here is some of the text from the ルートン package I bought on Amazon:
さし木の発根促進剤 さしきのはっこんそくしんざい ルートン
ナフチルアセトミド 0.4%
鉱物質 こうぶつしつ 99.6%
I kinda got the idea that my wife's grandma understood what I was looking for, but insisted that what I needed to do was different. Now I know what to look for! Thanx.

Quote:
A bit of a neat trick for plant growth hormones is to steal them from another plant - there are several good "donor" plants for this. The actively growing branch tips from a willow tree (salix sp) steeped in warm water for a day or more makes willow water. If you are near the ocean you can get some brown seaweed (the stuff with a ton of branches) and rinse the salt off, then blend or make a slurry with it.

I used the willow water this summer and managed to get half of a leaf from a hop plant to grow roots, but there are only a couple of sickly looking willows in my area so I bought powder which I can use anytime without the prep.
That's being resourceful. Good to know.

Maybe you can get some plants going from wet hops. It would cost a small fortune, but having a bunch of these newer hops that aren't sold as a rhizome would be awesome.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #35
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yes I already have 2 rootstocks that were given to me in October by a generous homebrewer leaving the country. I intend to share them when winter dormancy is ending. I have magnum and centennial as far as I know.

I have a 3rd plant that is unknown and in seriously unstable health after being moved too often/flooded/overheated in the summer/chewed by cats. I won't be able to share the 3rd plant this season without risking killing it. The root hormone is a safety net for cuttings. During the growing season I can cut short runners or even just leaves, and root them with the hormone, and build up several extra plants in pots without risking the main stock.

Plant hormones are pretty interesting, there is all sorts of stuff going on in our brewing ingredients!

Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #36
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So someone gave you the whole crown? That's nice.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
OppamaBrendan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoZiT View Post
So someone gave you the whole crown? That's nice.
Yeah, I had previously arranged with him for a cutting at the end of the season and then things changed for him and he moved to America so he had to get rid of them anyway. I promised to pass on my good fortune and help other homebrewers out with some rhizomes.

BTW I am doing some seed shopping for my garden and these hops suddenly this shows up (http://sakata-netshop.com/shop/item_...item_id=106032). I need a better translation I think it says 6 strains of hops? Even if it is just ornamental it would be good to know what is out there....

Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #38
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think this is 6 seedlings of one type. It's probably the proper female plant, but not knowing the type....

I've seen magnum and fuggle on a different site. I'll link to it in a few minutes.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #39
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

http://www.qherb.jp/onlineshop/garde...-plantsha.html

There are several types on this page. Challenger and Fuggle are pretty clear. There is a "dwarf hop", a "golden hop", and just plain "hops". The last one is probably an ornamental type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties

According to the above link, there is one type considered a dwarf hop, and it is a mix of Goldings and Challenger. It is also listed as WYE, which is a breeder that produces the challenger listed above (I think), so it's a good bet that this shop orders from there and that the dwarf hop is indeed the one listed on that hops type wiki page.

Golden hop is also listed in the wiki link above as an ornamental hop.

FYI, I spoke with them last year regarding male/female, thinking that they might actually be produced by seeds. They told me there was nothing to be worried about, they were produced by rhizomes or cuttings.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #40
WhoZiT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think it would be fun to find a rhizome of sorachi ace.

Quick Reply