Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Influence on homegrown hop AA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
mosyslack
doesn't drink...hahaha
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Influence on homegrown hop AA?

Does anyone know....Is there anything that can be done with the soil, to manipulate the AA of homegrown hops? I know that there isn't going to be a 5% point increase/decrease, but has anyone seen/read/heard of anything like this? Manipulating the soil's ph, adding nutrients, etc...

Drinking: 3rd Shift Breakfast Stout, store bought

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Resin production is strongly tied to how much sun the hops get. The variation will be much less than you think.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default I've wondered the same thing...

I've wondered about this same thing. Lye/acidity/alkalinity of the soil can have a big influence on many plants.

Do tell David, how does sunlight effect AAU production? Of course my interest here is because I'm growing in so much shade, see my earlier thread on the subject!

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

More sunlight means more energy for resin production. One of the reasons the PNW is the main hop growing region in the US. Lots of sun in August.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Many hops that are grown with full day of sunlight (13+ hrs) should be rated at the highest end of their hop AA%. So if your hops are Cascade and rated from 5 to 5.5 AA% then take the highest end of that spectrum. The reasoning according to the Home Beer Garden book is that these are the freshest hops you will ever get and in the prime of their season you should consider the highest alpha acid content.

If you pick early subtract .1 from the highest AA% rating or if you have shaded plants take .1 as well. Those reductions consider the circumstance your can find yourself.

- WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Quick Reply