Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > If you don't plant a Cascade you're crazy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
svengoat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default If you don't plant a Cascade you're crazy

I planted Magnum and Cascade last year and both produced first year.. This year the Cascade has gone crazy.. Last year the neighbor mowed the cascade over and they still reached 15 foot and bore!!!! To tell you the truth I never watered it last year and only planted it in some aged manure and soil mix... As of yesterday the cascades are multi-shooted with 5 or more over 6'.....You can't kill this thing and it's a pretty pretty plant... Stunning to see trellised against a wall or on a fence... IF you have never smelled a fresh cone , get over to a place where they grow them... No way to describe the taste and smell of fresh cascade hops.. Not knocking my magnum but it's not near as good looking as the cascade..LOL If the wife or GF gives you grief about planting a few, just let her see a few pics of them...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #2
DaveO
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just planted Nugget, Centennial, and Cascade, two rhizomes each. Nugget is coming up with a fury, I have a few Cent. sprouts, but Cascade is doing nothing for me. I think something dug up one of my Cascade rhizomes and spit it out as something it didn't want to eat. So I re-planted it. I so hope I can get the Cascade this year as it's one of my favorite hop.

Dave:-)

Old 05-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My cascades are insane too.

Try Chinook -- they grow even faster!

Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I did plant Cascade, but with less than desirable results.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/termites-175643/

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My second year Chinook is out of control and my first year Nuggest is crazy. Every other hops i have (over 10 varieties) is a pale second.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Cascade is a staple for pretty much every home grower. They seem to do well everywhere. There will be plants that do better however. Last year I put in a CTZ rhizome and she seems to like it here! She only got about 7 ft. up the trellis but threw an oz. and a half of cones and some were two inches long!

I'm not suggesting this variety just saying that there are good fits for every grower's climate. Cascade is a no-brainer. I'm still looking for a variety that gives me 4 lbs. a year. I know it's out there

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have 2nd year Cascade, Chinook, Halertau, and Saaz. Sadly, my Nugget didn't survive the winter. They are doing very well, but the Chinook has them all beat, I can't keep up with it, I cut a couple bines off, and two grow back in their place. Plus, they're spreading. I have them contained in a 2'x3' area, and there are several new plants coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I'm curious now, what's CTZ?

Old 05-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #9
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeerbrewer View Post
I have 2nd year Cascade, Chinook, Halertau, and Saaz. Sadly, my Nugget didn't survive the winter. They are doing very well, but the Chinook has them all beat, I can't keep up with it, I cut a couple bines off, and two grow back in their place. Plus, they're spreading. I have them contained in a 2'x3' area, and there are several new plants coming up.
"Feed me, Seymour!"

Old 05-02-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Retrofit
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

CTZ, Columbus, Tomahawk, Zeus. The premise is the three are so similar they are essentially the same. I am growing Zeus, which seems to be a late bloomer. In a seperate thread there is a guy worrying about his Columbus which is slow compared to his Cascasde. I keep posting, compare same hop to same hop, not hop to different hop. Anyway I keep telling him my Cascade is about the same height as his and my Zeus is about the same height as his Columbus so he's fine. Comparing different hops isn't appropriate as they have different growth spurts, different yields, and different times when these occur.

Quick Reply