If I can't have a field of hops... (My project)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allynlyon

Reaction score
I have thrown around some ideas with my husband about starting a hop farm here in Indiana. Unfortunately, I don't already live on land where I could start this. I've not looked at farm land before but I'm told it's at a relatively high market price right now. I also want to do some experimenting, reading, and money saving before I jump in. I figure I don't want to run into position where I have to cut corners so I want to know I have efficient start-up funds. I digress...

I still love growing hops, and I wanted to start this little venture. I embarked on an experiment to grow as many hops as I can in the space we have. So I plotted and planned for the past few weeks and sent Great Lake Hops several emails (by the way they are awesome). I ended up building 2 -25x5 raised beds, a 5x10 ft bed and prepped the soil around our house. I opted to order crowns from Great Lakes Hops and thought I would take you along on the process. I now have 32 hop plants planted (ones I just ordered and ones I planted last year.) I planted several different varieties to get an idea of how the different varieties responded to the soil here in addition to the weather.

I built the raised beds first but then I opted to order 6 yards of compost. If you aren't aware that is a lot of dirt to move so I recruited the neighborhood kids to help. I paid them with a trip to the local frozen yogurt shop.

I've seen a lot of people ask about buying crowns and ask specifically about buying from Great Lakes Hops. I was extremely impressed. My crowns came well packaged. You can see in the picture. You can also see that the crowns are huge. All of the plants look very healthy and I'm very happy.

Lastly, I got up on Saturday and planted all of my babies. I included a picture of one the 25x5 beds. It rained all weekend, I hope they enjoy the bath. I'm a little worried about the amount of water they got but hopefully they will drain nicely. I'll keep you updated as time passes. :)

photo 1 (5).JPG

photo 2 (5).JPG

photo 3 (4).JPG

photo 4 (2).JPG

photo 5 (1).JPG

Good luck with your plants. We know people who farm 10,000 acres and seeing what's required I would never want to be a farmer. They rent the majority of their land so that's also an option.

Good luck with your plants. We know people who farm 10,000 acres and seeing what's required I would never want to be a farmer. They rent the majority of their land so that's also an option.

I grew up in a farming community so I understand the work that goes into it. I don't have any kind of passion to be a corn, soy, etc farmer but these damn hops have invaded my soul. I was reading, "For the Love of Hops" and there was a quote in there that said something like once you've been bitten buy the hop bug it stays with you forever. (I'll have to go find my book). This has happened to me. I love these crazy plants. I can see myself growing them happily for years and years to come.

I have considered renting just was not sure how you go about finding land to rent and how you secure it for a longer span of time (because no one wants to be moving hop yards. ;)

Update- My hop babies all seem to be doing quite well from the transplant. Some of the leaves died off one of my plants but the stems are still green so I think they are ok just recovering a little.

We love seeing cool projects like this! So glad we could help! We hope you keep updating so we can see the progress!

Austin @ GLH

We love seeing cool projects like this! So glad we could help! We hope you keep updating so we can see the progress!

Austin @ GLH

Absolutely thank you for the great plants. Also I was going to purchase 4 more crowns but what is the latest I can do so and get them in the ground safely? (In central Indiana)

Back