I wish i could grow hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterfuse

Reaction score
up here in northern ireland the climate is too wet and never sunny enough for growing hops but if i could i definitely would.

I dont understand why more people wouldnt try especially with the price at the minute. id have some cascade, ekg and something noble maybe. is it a high mainetenance job?

Is there that much difference between zone 8 (Kent) and zone 9 (You)?
I don't know if USDA zones are the same as British and Irish hardiness zones. If they are you should be OK.

You should give it a go. Ok, maybe you don't get hard sunlight all the time, but then again, Cascade is very tolerant and even if the output isn't as much as most over here would get, it would still likely be not too bad. I'd shop around nearby and see if anyone over there would sell you a rhizome or two.

I live in a cold climate, and my hops are doing fine. I have hallertau and cascade. We do get quite a few sunny days in the summer, but it's definitely not warm here. I think we're in zone 3 here.

I think you could grow them. The biggest problem would be disease. If you could plant them in a fairly open area and put some extra space between them you might have some success. The key is good air circulation. You'd also want to keep any extra sprouts pruned off at ground level. Once you've selected the several you want, prune of any other suckers that come up. Air circulation is poorest near the ground so you want to keep that as clear as possible. You might even want to plant them at the top of little mounds (1-2 ft tall or so). This would also help keep their toes moist, but not wet.

I'd also try to grow disease resistant varieties.

you know what i might give it a go if i can get some rhizomes here or in england although im in latitudes lines simlilar to southern tip of alaska.

Actually, the further North you are, the better, as long as it isn't too cold. Longer days promote more growth and flowering. They grow fine in places where the average night temp can be -5 C for a couple months.

Back