Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > I want to grow hops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #11
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 999 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsStepBrother View Post
I have 5 different varieties growing in my backyard. Well I should say four, Willamette hates it in El Paso, the sun tortures it. The ones that are doing well in our dry weather are Chinook and Cascade. Then it is followed by Centennial and Columbus. The Chinook and Cascade both are animals and love the sun, though if I could re plant them I would ignore a lot of the advice I got online. In our climate it is better to not plant them in a mount, the soil is hard to keep wet even if you’re trying. Also do not plant them in the full sun, then you will be like me having to water them twice a day. Hope all goes well, if you need some rhizomes shoot me a pm I will be more than happy to dig some up for you.
This is inspiring news!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
hitecgmblr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I have 5 different varieties growing in my backyard. Well I should say four, Willamette hates it in El Paso, the sun tortures it. The ones that are doing well in our dry weather are Chinook and Cascade. Then it is followed by Centennial and Columbus. The Chinook and Cascade both are animals and love the sun, though if I could re plant them I would ignore a lot of the advice I got online. In our climate it is better to not plant them in a mount, the soil is hard to keep wet even if you’re trying. Also do not plant them in the full sun, then you will be like me having to water them twice a day. Hope all goes well, if you need some rhizomes shoot me a pm I will be more than happy to dig some up for you.
Would you have a problem digging up some rhizomes and shipping them up here to Lubbock? The county I live in is very successful growing wine grapes and ive been wanting to experiment with hops. Im a farmer but transitioning from cotton and peanuts to grapes and hops isnt going to be easy.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I might suggest still doing mounds but watering in the evening or covering the mounds (except the vine of course) to prevent too much evaporation. Should give you better draining and insulation. I think the main problem is that you'll get lots of vine growth but not as much hop production because of the length of day, I remember reading something about it in another thread about New Zealand growers.

Disclaimer: not an expert, just enthusiast. The other Texas growers definitely know more than me here.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitecgmblr View Post
Would you have a problem digging up some rhizomes and shipping them up here to Lubbock? The county I live in is very successful growing wine grapes and ive been wanting to experiment with hops. Im a farmer but transitioning from cotton and peanuts to grapes and hops isnt going to be easy.
send me one of your homebrews and you got yourself a deal. pm me your address.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4581 Times on 4486 Posts
Likes Given: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreweryUnderground View Post
I might suggest still doing mounds but watering in the evening or covering the mounds (except the vine of course) to prevent too much evaporation. Should give you better draining and insulation. I think the main problem is that you'll get lots of vine growth but not as much hop production because of the length of day, I remember reading something about it in another thread about New Zealand growers.

Disclaimer: not an expert, just enthusiast. The other Texas growers definitely know more than me here.
*bine, not vine.

And yes, southern growers (SoCal, Fla, Texas) can grow them if they insulate the soil and keep it watered enough that it isn't totally dried out. However, hops are photoperiod sensitive and sense the change in day length as days get shorter and this triggers the flowering response. This is why they grow so well in moderate northern climes. Long hot (but not scorching) days and cool nights with plenty of water (naturally or from irrigation)... then, an abrupt and rapid shortening of day length triggers a massive flowering response in one shot. So, they can be grown, but yield is usually smaller and flowering can happen over a length of time as opposed to a single shot. They also need a distinct dormant period where the bines die back and the energy is concentrated in the crown as it prepares for another growing season. They shouldn't be grown year-round without said dormancy period.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #16
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah what Randar said.

Also have you heard about growers using lights at night to trick the hops? I swear I heard that somewhere, seems like it would be a bit of a hassle and annoy the neighbors, but these are hops we're talking about...

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 01-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
Randar
Damn right I got da brews

Recipes 

Liked 4581 Times on 4486 Posts
Likes Given: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreweryUnderground View Post
Yeah what Randar said.

Also have you heard about growers using lights at night to trick the hops? I swear I heard that somewhere, seems like it would be a bit of a hassle and annoy the neighbors, but these are hops we're talking about...
Yes, but I can't imagine the cost one would undertake, even on a small scale, to try to do this.

Mmm, hot and wet beef.-marubozo

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Greatlakeshops
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Hop lighting is a pretty common practice with hop growers in latitudes near the equator. They don't use high intensity - regular light bulbs are spaced out down the rows - it kinda resembles a christmas tree lot at night. They only are trying to trigger the photosynthesis response and create a "fake" short day. It doesn't cost that much because they only use them a couple of hours per night; and only during certain crop stages.
Unless you're growing in the southern tip of Florida, Texas, or Puerto Rico; it does't make any sense to do it. You can find more info on this if you Google search through places like India, New Zealand, Africa, Etc.
Lighting is mentioned in this forum occasionally because normal household lights, security lighting, or street lights can trigger the same vegetative response. These threads typically start with "my hops are growing but they are not getting any cones and it is already August".

Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
hitecgmblr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
send me one of your homebrews and you got yourself a deal. pm me your address.
Im in the process of moving and my pipeline is gone. As soon as i get set up, you gotta deal!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
corkybstewart

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I live in Carlsbad, just up the road from you and I grow hops. Some years they do OK, some years they suck, it all depends on how hot it gets. I tried growing mine on the east side of my barn so the afternoon heat would be easier on them but the really didn't thrive. Now they're in full sun all day and do better. Cascades do best up here, and for a while I had good luck with Nuggets, but a couple of years ago we were on vacation for a month during a heat wave and my daughter didn't water my hops enough so the Nuggets never recovered like the Cascades did.
If you get up to Carlsbad this spring I can dig you up some rhizomes.

Quick Reply