Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > I want to grow hops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1020 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 2711

Default I want to grow hops!

Can you good folks recommend a couple reliable sources for ordering rhizomes. I'm in the desert southwest, if it matters...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Labratbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier
Can you good folks recommend a couple reliable sources for ordering rhizomes. I'm in the desert southwest, if it matters...
Id go with great lakes hops... Such a good deal on hops. Where bouts in southern California do you live??

Old 01-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #3
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labratbrew View Post
Id go with great lakes hops... Such a good deal on hops. Where bouts in southern California do you live??
I'm actually in El Paso, TX (darn near in Mexico) not California.. Thanks for the resource! I'll check them out. I'm an avid gardener, so I figure growing hops should come easy to me..

Old 01-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4916 Times on 3565 Posts
Likes Given: 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I'm actually in El Paso, TX (darn near in Mexico) not California.. Thanks for the resource! I'll check them out. I'm an avid gardener, so I figure growing hops should come easy to me..
Hops don't like hot weather or dry conditions. I think you're going to find them very challenging!

Of course, up north, they grow wild all over the place. They are invasive, even, and we see them all over old barns and sometimes in the strangest places. My brewing buddy found them all over in his back lot, growing like crazy!

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
TheBreweryUnderground
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier

Sorry dude but you're probably too far south, unless you can use lights to trick your hops into thinking they're experiencing shorter days or you're doing indoor hops.

Check out EdWort's Texas Hop Garden thread and good luck, I don't want to discourage anyone from experimenting but it may be difficult. I'm hoping to grow hops but I'm up in Chicago so I can't say I'm much of an expert of your area and I'm a noob as well when it comes to growing.

“… Besides, the Word is the principal part of baptism. If in an emergency there’s no water at hand, it doesn’t matter whether water or beer is used.” ~Martin Luther

Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
Brew_Force
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't be discouraged, I have a buddy who grows several different types of hops in his backyard, and I live in the dfw metroplex. You should be able to rig something up with enough determination!

Old 01-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I actually grow many things that other people have trouble with in my climate. I've been told that I have a big, fat, green thumb.. What I've learned in my habitat is things that normally grow in full sun up north do fine in partial shade here in the dry heat.. I have things that I keep alive by watering morning and night that otherwise wouldn't survive. I have even simulated humidity with a mister. I'm not opposed to growing indoors if it will yield a decent crop, but I've heard hops can grow quite large. It couldn't hurt to experiment. I have a great little cool spot on the north side of my house that I think might just work..

Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Jagdad
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You're on the right track- the trick is to keep the feeder roots cool. Most of the deep south guys have luck with a part day of full sun exposure. ( I used to work near Weslaco - loved the barbacue and dancin' - hated the heat!) Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So I got a new client today that just happens to be a botanist/horticulturist.. AND.. He just happens to be interested in growing hops. He brought it up when I told him that I'm a homebrewer. He says my plan sounds like it will work, and he also says he can help me balance my soil ph to get it right. He was already planning on ordering his own rhizomes soon, and he says he's going to order me some as well! I can't wait to give it a try!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have 5 different varieties growing in my backyard. Well I should say four, Willamette hates it in El Paso, the sun tortures it. The ones that are doing well in our dry weather are Chinook and Cascade. Then it is followed by Centennial and Columbus. The Chinook and Cascade both are animals and love the sun, though if I could re plant them I would ignore a lot of the advice I got online. In our climate it is better to not plant them in a mount, the soil is hard to keep wet even if you’re trying. Also do not plant them in the full sun, then you will be like me having to water them twice a day. Hope all goes well, if you need some rhizomes shoot me a pm I will be more than happy to dig some up for you.

Quick Reply