Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > I Have Hops!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
pr0vidence
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I Have Hops!

I was unsure if I would get anything this year, but I looked at my plant this morning and what do I see? 25 or so cones forming at various sizes! I'm going to have a harvest this year!

The picture isn't very good, but the cones are still fairly clearly visible.

Here is the original size picture, for those who might want a closer look, 56k be warned.

http://www.boomspeed.com/pr0vidence/house/hopsbig.JPG

HORRAY! now I guess I need to invest in a vacuum sealer or some sort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
RommelMagic
Recipes 

It's kinda hard to tell. Do they feel "papery" or are they turning brown at all? If so I'd harvest them. Also, crush one in your hands or split it open and take a whiff and look at the lupulin glands, you know, the double-yellow-line-on-the-road yellow part at the base of each petal. I know I'm in dire need to get my harvest picked and dried. I was going to yesterday but got bogged down trying to fix my trellis. Nine bines make for a pretty heavy load.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
pr0vidence
Recipes 

I haven't actually gotten a close look yet, I just noticed them today. I'm going to have to break out the ladder and climb up there, as there are no cones close enough to the ground to reach unaided. really just those pictured up on the top. We'll see.

Quick Reply