Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > How would one correct for highly alkaline irrigation water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4836 Times on 4436 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default How would one correct for highly alkaline irrigation water

Short of cisterns or rain barrels?

I am going to test my water to verify as well as my soil using both distilled water and my tap but,

Lets assume my pH 9.0 to 9.3 tap water is taking my soils out of optimum range for hops (6.5 to 7.5) and is affecting nutrient availabilty (uptake) but, with distilled my soil is optimum.

How to address the issue and be able to use the tap water without screwing my soil up or having to install an collection system?

Watering with the hose is so convienient.

I have been trying to locate a reference to calculate the potential effects but have only found papers on how soil can effect water runoff pH. Not vice versa.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Short of cisterns or rain barrels?

I am going to test my water to verify as well as my soil using both distilled water and my tap but,

Lets assume my pH 9.0 to 9.3 tap water is taking my soils out of optimum range for hops (6.5 to 7.5) and is affecting nutrient availabilty (uptake) but, with distilled my soil is optimum.

How to address the issue and be able to use the tap water without screwing my soil up or having to install an collection system?

Watering with the hose is so convienient.

I have been trying to locate a reference to calculate the potential effects but have only found papers on how soil can effect water runoff pH. Not vice versa.
I would compensate with soil additives. A local nursery should have soil conditioners for your type of water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply