Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > How much hops could I expect (container growing)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Diablotastic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much hops could I expect (container growing)

So I've got 1 Cascade Rhizone and I'm planning on picking up 1 Centennial. I'm going to pick up two 20" pots and get planting within the next week or so. I'm going to follow the intructions in the Aussie BYO article.

Has anybody else planted with containers and what type of yeild can I expect with just 2 pots and two rhizones?

I'm asusming it's going to be minimul as it will be 1st year but I'm just curious on what to expect if I can get these baby's fairly healthy in the 1st year

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would also like to know what to expect... First year growing hops and got the idea from BYO as well. Four rhizomes so far. I'm hoping we'll be able to get at least some hops in the first year. Can't wait to make a "harvest brew" at the end of the summer!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 03-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It depends on the variety. Cascade I have heard does really well with container growing, but my Tet (which is a lower producing variety) produced about half an ounce to a ounce and my Northern Brewer produced about a quarter of an ounce. (first year) I am sure that your growing conditions may produce different results as my hops got a bit nitrogen deficient before I figured out what was going on. That may of stunted their growth a bit. I know a bit more now and they should do better in their second year.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

FWIW, my first-year Challenger and Target both yielded about an ounce of dried hops each. But now their roots are massive, and they're already a couple of feet high, so I expect year two will be a little more productive.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Sunshine, deep watering 2-3 times a week and a good high-nitrogen fertilizer and you might have an ounce or two the first year. I planted five pairs of rhizomes the first year and got a total of 2 ounces. Last year, it was so cold that even the third year plants didn't produce.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
...a good high-nitrogen fertilizer...
+1 to that. Hops can really suck all the nutrients out of the soil, so if you're limiting the soil they can access by keeping them in a container, you will need to keep it topped up with the good stuff - of which nitrogen seems to be the most important part.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The one thing that the article in BYO didn't include was yield expectations. The pictures showed a lot of plants and they didn't look all that healthy to me. If I were to grow that way I'd expect an ounce tops per plant if everything went perfectly and they didn't get burned from lack of water or incorrect fertilization. And as stated in the article a couple of years is all that you can expect to grow one plant before it needs to be split up. I'm digging my first mature plant up this year and I'm going to dedicate the good part of a day to it because I expect to be fishing roots out for quite a while. It just seems like that much growth above ground would need even more root material below. My $.02

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I had 3 plants in pots last yr and they got shorter than desired amount of sunlight each day because I'm on the wrong side of the building, they also suffered from me going away for 3 day weekends several times. But I still got about 1/4 oz out of the cascade and would have gotten it out of the others except for the water shortage on the long weekends kept drying out the baby hops. I would say 1/4-1/2 out first yr with good conditions.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
johnnytaco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have planted a large rhizome/root (20+inches)from some wild local hops that I found. I have it in a ten gallon pot. I planted her right before it would have started growing in the wild. We had a late snow storm in May, so there were just a few bine starts on it. The transplant took a week and a half to do anything, but has blown up since. There are two bines off of the main root that are over six feet tall as of today and the side rhizome has four smaller shoots popping out of the ground. I have no idea what strain they are, but I know they're used to mountain growing and that they make one heck of a lager. I'll post my yield this fall if I remember.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
kesslerr1
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I gots some free rhizomes (cascade and nugget) 3 years ago and have had them in 20 gallon bucket since. I am finishing up grad school, living in apartments and am waiting and anticipating the day I can stick them in the ground. However, until then they will have to sit in their pots. Each year around the time they start to put out shoots I replace all the soil with new potting soil and a light dose of fertilizer (10-10-10). The past 2 years I got a gallon size zip lock bag packed to the brim from each plant. They turned out great and I use them for dry hopping and finishing.

Quick Reply