Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > How many things can you find wrong with this plant.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
pyrocam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default How many things can you find wrong with this plant.

Hi, I have been growing my first hops of unknown variety for a few months and things going ok except for a few issues best explained through pictures.

At first I had two pests sucking on the bines. I am not sure if its the same insect at different levels of maturity or different bugs.

I dealt with them with 1 part dishwashing liquid in 20 parts water in a spray bottle. I have to do this every couple of days
also every praying mantis I find go on the plant. I don't know how effective they are to control the whole lot but I do like it when this happens.

I think that spraying in too much sun has caused the leaves and hops to brown. I would love a second opinion

Note on that last picture there is some white webbing type stuff. That is were I found my first tiny green catipillars which could explain why some leaves have large chunks missing. I squash these by hand when I see them. But I was inspecting my hops and I found two hops that had catipillars inside them. I dont know how to get rid of these since I cant spray anything inside the hop, and I cant open every hop to see if there is anything inside them since that will ruin the hop. Any thoughts?

And finally while taking these pictures I found some white spotting on some of the leaves. Its also noticable in the last picture. Not sure what this is.

all pictures + more at high res here (66mb)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these problems

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 20

can't really help you. i just wanted to tell you how badass that picture of the praying mantis ripping the mystery bugs face off is.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 03-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The webbing sounds like spider mites. http://www.freshops.com/hop-growing/...ses-and-pests/

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 03-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #4
worksnorth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Bummer man, however I just think that it's cool you live somewhere you can even grow hops! good luck!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
D0ug
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Could also be Mealy Bugs or Foliar Mealy Bugs, and the thing the Mantis is eating might be Whiteflies?

You could definitely be scorching the leaves if you are spraying them during times when the sun is brightest, usually the early morning or late afternoon is the best time time apply direct spray on treatments or feedings to leaves.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #6
khugs21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

looks like a bug problem. On my other plants I had a few bug problems. A nice, cheap replant that worked for me was crushed red pepper boiled in some water and a touch of oxyclean free. spray it right at dusk. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by khugs21 View Post
looks like a bug problem. On my other plants I had a few bug problems. A nice, cheap replant that worked for me was crushed red pepper boiled in some water and a touch of oxyclean free. spray it right at dusk. Good luck!
What does the oxyclean do? Like soap?

My hops in the PNW last two years got aphids so bad then the flies come in and eat the sugar the aphids make. It's gross. I have no hops left I can't use that garbage. This year I am going to spray something but don't want to spray on the hops how will oxyclean taste? Or pepper? Or soap? Or Neem oil? Choices seem limited. Early harvest may be the answer the longer they go the more they get attacked.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
khugs21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

honestly was not to sure about the oxyclean too. A vet grower told me about it. The other plant i used it on when "consumed" did not have a oxyclean taste to it but be sure to rinse off the whole plant before harvest of course.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3478 Times on 2153 Posts
Likes Given: 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew View Post
What does the oxyclean do? Like soap?

My hops in the PNW last two years got aphids so bad then the flies come in and eat the sugar the aphids make. It's gross. I have no hops left I can't use that garbage. This year I am going to spray something but don't want to spray on the hops how will oxyclean taste? Or pepper? Or soap? Or Neem oil? Choices seem limited. Early harvest may be the answer the longer they go the more they get attacked.
Get yourself some ladybugs.
mountainman619 Likes This 
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #10
pyrocam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Get yourself some ladybugs.
The biological control retailers here (New Zealand) dont sell ladybugs, I did look into it. I have bought a ton of marigolds to try the 'companion planting' thing but they havent done anything.

If I get enough space to build a larger crop I will possibly try the mini wasps mentioned here
http://zonda.net.nz/aphipar-aphidius-colemani.html
although I dont know whats worse, dealing with the bugs or having a swarm of wasps near my house.

I am considering getting a bucket and soaking the hops in dishwash/water at sunset. Although I wonder if the soap would possible destroy the lupilin or otherwise negatively affect them.

Quick Reply