Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > How long is it taking you to get sprouts this year?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
SnaX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long is it taking you to get sprouts this year?

I put mine 1 week ago, and still nothin.
I ask because the weather has been in the upper 30's at night lately, but I read they can survive this.
As well, there has been some light showers these last couple of days, and it's supposed to rain modestly on Friday. I could cover them, but I feel I should let nature do her thing.
I have 7 first-year rhizomes.

What else everyone else's experience with their plants sprouting this particular year? Both first-year and second, etc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
cronxitawney
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnaX View Post
I put mine 1 week ago, and still nothin.
I ask because the weather has been in the upper 30's at night lately, but I read they can survive this.
As well, there has been some light showers these last couple of days, and it's supposed to rain modestly on Friday. I could cover them, but I feel I should let nature do her thing.
I have 7 first-year rhizomes.

What else everyone else's experience with their plants sprouting this particular year? Both first-year and second, etc.
I just planted 2 cascade rhizomes, 1 in the ground and 1 in a pot. Both took a little over two weeks to sprout.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Working on two first-year rhizomes - Nugget & Willamette. Planted about 3 weeks ago, and the weather has been chilly (upper 30's at night, low 50's at day), overcast & often rainy. I finally got impatient with no noticable growth a couple days ago and did some hand digging. A couple Willamette sprouts are close to breaking through, but only healthy bud growth from the Nugget.

This is actually surprising to me, because the Willamette rhizome, when i received it, looked simply like a twig, whereas the Nugget rhizome actually looked like a plant that something would grow from - complete with sprouts, buds, etc.

I'll wait for the weather to be more ideal before i seriously start sweating it.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The ground needs to get into the 40's for them to really start growing.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 04-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Battery Acid Bo
Recipes 

I have 6-second year varieties in the ground.

I had to keep them in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks because the ground and the weather would not let me. When I planted them last spring, I checked them about every other day!! When they did start to break thru, I had to put a fence around the Sunbeam because some animal was having them for lunch.

It took them about 3-4 weeks for them to show some activity. The temp needs to be a littler warmer for a little longer for them to get going.

All of them are sprouting already this spring; a couple have 3” sprouts. The Sterling is the slowest of the bunch, only a couple of half inch sprouts.

I have Cascade, Crystal, Magnum, Mt. Hood, Sterling, and Sunbeam. Two of all of them except three of the Sunbeam.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I have three plants up (fourth year) and five not, at this point.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It has not dropped below 50* in a while here for the low temperature and some of my first years (centennial and magnum) are quick to rise at about 5 days, my Chinook just poked through after about a week but the Willamette has not come up again, but I also replanted these after deciding to go with the horizontal method. All of these have a good amount of sun.

On the other hand, I have cascades that have been in the ground for nearly 3 weeks and have not sprouted but I think it is due to lack of direct sun so I will be moving them.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
JarrodH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first year cascades took over 3 weeks to sprout. I was to the point of thinking the rhizome was dead when they sprouted. My other two second year had sprouted weeks earlier.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Put a centennial and golding in small pots monday (still freezing outside at night but wanted to get them started). Golding already is showing sprout. Maybe warm temperatures do make a difference? Didn't put them too deep though since the pots are small and they'll be transplanted probably next week sometime.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #10
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got mine in my basement under a 24 hour light (pre-sprout) and 14 hour light (post-sprout) and it's taken everywhere from 2 weeks to 2 days (that rhizome had VERY long buds on it).

Kyle

Quick Reply