Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > How easy are hops to transplant?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How easy are hops to transplant?

I am currently growin 3 Cascade Rhizomes in a very large gardening pot, its probably close to 15 gallons. I am doing this because I will be moving in the coming year and want to be able to transport them to the new house easily. Once I get them to their new home how do I go about transplanting them. They are first year hops and are already about 8' long or so. Once I harvest them and bury the rhizome for the winter how do I go about transplanting them in the spring?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
southern brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wait until about april. carefully move the dirt away from the area the hop is. locate the part of the bine you burried and find a piece of the burried bine turned rhizome that has buds on it. cut the piece and burry it in a new location.
Or so i hear lol

Old 07-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

You don't need to do anything this fall, except trim off the bines after they die. Next April, just remove the roots from the pot and transplant them. The secondary root system will regrow.

If you want more plants, then bury 2-3 feet of each bine after the harvest. Do not cut them from the root. In the spring, you should have shoots all along the bine. Cut it into pieces with a few shoots on each & you'll have plenty rhizomes.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had excellent luck transplanting this spring, but I went far out of my way to minimize root loss. I went in like a surgeon and dug out all the major roots by hand, probably spent half an hour on each one (those damn roots go a loooong way in just a year!)

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply