Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > House Of Pants Hop Garden 2010!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
fineexampl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default House Of Pants Hop Garden 2010!

I thought i'd share some hop heaven with my fellow brewers. This is my first year of hop growing.

I have to wooden poles cemented into the ground. 2 on each end with a pole bolted in the middle that can be raised/lowered just by removing one bolt. Both poles are connected at the top by a rope that also can be raised/lowered by undoing the knot at the base of one of the poles. So far it's very effective.

Growing: Cascade and Chinook. I forget who i bought the rhizomes from, but i believe they sell directly on HBT.

I started them in containers at home on my balcony in Edison and once they were a few feet long i transferred them to their permanent home in South River, NJ where they presently reside at my In-laws home. Love those two! nicest folks anyone could wish for.

I began them in ProMix BX and when transplanted i left them in the container and cut out the bottom to allow root growth and when the time comes i can take the rhizomes to a new home.

Fertilizer is strictly organic or natural fertilizers only. I DO NOT use any chemical fertilizers or time release BS like Miracle-Gro. I happen to like a healthy bacteria colony and have had good success. Ferts i DO use are liquid fish, liquid seaweed, and Fox Farm/Happy Frog products as well as other dry ferts. I'm lucky to have access to a bevy of high end fertilizers though a local hydroponics shop and the owner is a super nice guy and sets me up good and proper. Garden State Hydroponics in Avanel, NJ if anyone wants to visit them. The guy with one arm is cool as hell! Love those guys there! I will swear by bat guano, old shrimp shells, egg shells, etc.

Any questions? Advice? Let me know!

Pic time!!

hop-resin.jpg   img_0868.jpg   img_0867.jpg   img_0866.jpg   img_0865.jpg  

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Wow, they look fabulous! And a hearty pat on the back for growing 'em organic. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Wow, they look fabulous! And a hearty pat on the back for growing 'em organic. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks, though i must stress i don't grow organic. I grow "natural". In other words, i don't use anything synthetic and it's all plant or animal derived. Organic usually translates to expensive and so i try to keep costs down. If organic is cheapest, then i'll do it. Green, yes. Organic, not 100%. Still, i do appreciate the kind words.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Quick Reply