Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > hops turned brown as they were drying - discard them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
odoyle81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry I didn't reply back earlier - I wasn't getting emails that people replied.So I used the hops and they turned out fine... the IPA is
aging better each day!
btw, my drying conditions are to spread they out and let them dry with a fan on them... Colorado is super dry and it only takes a couple hours at room temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
There are various reasons why they turn brown. It could be wind damage...rubbing/friction...but that's usually just on the outside bracts. It could be powdery/downey mildew, which is kind of what this looks like. In that case, throw out those that are over 50% brown or have really nasty looking spots.

It could be from your drying process. What temperature were you drying at? They will also dry with age. So if you were on the backside of the optimal picking time, you can get this.

Basically, you've got the right idea. They smell good and the lupulin looks good...go for it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
DaBills
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by odoyle81 View Post
Sorry I didn't reply back earlier - I wasn't getting emails that people replied.So I used the hops and they turned out fine... the IPA is
aging better each day!
btw, my drying conditions are to spread they out and let them dry with a fan on them... Colorado is super dry and it only takes a couple hours at room temp.
Thanks for response, I found a guy on craigslist that let me pick all his hops for free and most of them are brown after drying. I am still going to use them as they still smell amazing and they got a ton of that yellow stuff.

Go Bills!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply