Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > The hops are taking over my garden! How do I transplant them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
retardedsloth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The hops are taking over my garden! How do I transplant them?

The subject pretty much sums it up. When and how should I transplant these? I do have a very nice harvest coming this year but they are taking over the garden!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
kskiles
Recipes 

I would leave them alone for now. Later this fall, take the new bines that are coming from unexpected places and bury them under several inches of soil or mulch. Tie strings around them and leave on the surface to mark them prior to burial to . Next spring, (early) dig them up and cut the ryzomes and start new plants in areas you want or in large pots.

This has worked multiple times for me.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
B-Hoppy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Wait till they die back this Fall then dig and move. If you start about 6-8 inches out from the center of the crown and dig all the way around it like you're digging a tree, you'll be able to see any rhizomes that were creeping outward and just get the shovel under them to lift and then dispose of (unless you want to give them to someone else). It's usually a lot easier moving them in the Fall due to potential problems with unpredictable weather in the Spring. Next Spring, keep an eye out for any sprouts from rhizomes or parts that you may have missed and they'll dig up real easily.

Quick Reply