*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops stopped growing at 4-5ft

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #1
Matuz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops stopped growing at 4-5ft

So just as the post subject says, my hops (two rhizomes) quit growing. One is at about 5 ft and the other around 4 ft. NOW, they do not get full sun all day, maybe not even half the day. But I really can't see that being the limiting factor....I mean it does get some indirect light all day. Any thoughts? Ever happen to anyone else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

How long have they been in the ground? How long have they appeared to stop growing? The roots have probably hit the edge of that nice soft dirt you planted them in and are having to work a little harder to get into the old compacted dirt that you dug up. Water shallow, often, and over a large area. Make sure you don't overwater though. The roots will rot if they are continually saturated.

You also might want to listen to this podcast...
http://traffic.libsyn.com/beersmith/...owing-Hops.mp3

Old 05-10-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't have anything to add, but I'm curious what other people say. My Fuggle shot up faster than any other hop (and I've got plenty) and somewhere around 5/6' it just stopped growing and never produced a single cone. It was a first year, but I never saw that happen. This is year two for my Fuggle and once again it's growing pretty fast, but it hasn't hit that 6' mark and I'm wondering- will I see any cones?

I know Fuggle is 'finicky', but that issue aside- I'm curious if anyone can add the conversation.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 AM   #4
ChadS99SVT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme6582 View Post
Water shallow, often, and over a large area. Make sure you don't overwater though. The roots will rot if they are continually saturated.

I wish I knew how much was too much when it comes to watering....

right now I am watering once per day in the evening.....the ground usually soaks it up pretty quickly.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
Retrofit
Recipes 

My hops are in a raised garden with a soaker hose that loops around each crown. I realize that different hops grow at different rates and produce at different times. Since I used I used a soaker hose, I know my plants received the same amount of water. Not trying to fuel the fire, but last year when I had this same issue- my Fuggle got the same amount of water/soil/sun light as all my other hops. It got to about 6' tall and just stopped.

This doesn't contribute a solution, but in my case clarifies that water: to much or not enough wasn't the issue. Still curious.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think it's a bit premature to say they "quit growing". It's only about a month into spring and harvest isn't for some months.

Plants in general do not like to be watered a lot, least of all hops which tend to burrow deep to find water. Plants that are overwatered tend to slow down because they have what they want, but not what they need. What do they need? Only enough water to live and perhaps something to eat. If MO is like NJ this year, we've had plenty of rain and that could be the culprit.

My best advice is, if you have been watering them, stop watering them for a couple weeks and maybe cut them back a foot off the top and give them a reason to grow.

It's no different than having free room service on a vacation. Why go elsewhere when you have what you need right in front of you?

Hops tend to grow themselves. Aside from fertilizer, you can kind of leave them to their own devices unless there's a drought.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
Retrofit
Recipes 

Reading the last post, fineexample makes an excellent point. My unilateral watering of different varieties of hops could be great for some hops and not so great for other hops. It is early in the season- young growers tend to worry a lot- a variety of issues could be occurring.

Could we get a variety? It would tell us if the hop is finicky (like Fuggle) or something avid. It would also tell us expected yield and what time of season- all material that might help better answer the question. Oh yeah, is this a first year plant or older?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4605 Times on 4508 Posts
Likes Given: 2103

Have you verified that the growth tips are still healthy and intact? If they've been snapped or nipped by birds, they are going to stop growing upwards.

Otherwise, give it some more time.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4605 Times on 4508 Posts
Likes Given: 2103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS99SVT View Post
I wish I knew how much was too much when it comes to watering....

right now I am watering once per day in the evening.....the ground usually soaks it up pretty quickly.
let it dry out a little bit between waterings. If it's still wet from yesterday's watering, leave it be. You don't want to rot young rhizomes (although that may be harder for some than it is here where we have dense black clay that holds a lot of moisture as opposed to locations with lighter, sandier, etc soil)

Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 940 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 2009

4 or 5 feet? Wow, I thought mine were doing good, but I am measuring them in inches still.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply