Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > hops and the sqare foot gardening method

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4603 Times on 4506 Posts
Likes Given: 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJerryrigger View Post
I've got an old copy of Square Food Gardening on my bed stand right now (I'm only about 2 pages in). I didn't realize that the beds had a bottom...
Anyway I think you could modify things for your situation, and design a system for hops that also works well with your other plants.
Well placed hops could provide shade to extend a lettuces crop into the hotter months. I did this with some success last year, though not in raised beds.
Along those lines I grew potatoes in cribs between hop mounds last year. Of course, the potatoes didn't do much (first try at growing potatoes) for unrelated reasons.

I also have good success growing edamame (soy beans) in and amongst the hop mounds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
growinghops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hops can be contained on the surface by cutting sprouts and the side roots (rhizomes) but the tap root likes to go deep. It may work if you leave the box bottomless. Container hops will find the drainage holes and root in the ground below. These things will eventually take over if you do not trim the root stock (crown). I would allow 1 foot radius from the crown per plant minimum (so much for the square foot).

Northwest Hops - I have dealt with them and had a good experience with their hop rhizomes - great prices. I compiled a list of online hop rhizome vendors.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #13
r8rphan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So, form the sound of things, I have two choices...

a) build my container on or in the ground to allow the tap root to grow downwards..

b) build a very deep box so that the plant has room for the tap root...

if i were to chose method 'a' it would cost less, but what about gophers and moles? This place is littered with them... will they eat the roots?

if I were to choose 'b'.. it would cost a lot in compost, vermiculite, and peat moss depending on 'how deep' the box would need to be.. So how deep does the tap root go? 'deep' is a vague term to me at this point..

Thanks for the replies... I'm learning..

"Beer is living proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
(possibly said by) Ben Franklin (maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Damn, where's my arm?.

"You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends... but you can't pick your friends nose!"
George Carlin

Quick Reply