Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops in planter just starting to flower

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
ruinarion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops in planter just starting to flower

I tried to grow my own hops this year. Since I live in an apartment I figured I would try it in a pot. I found a pot that had a diameter of 24" at the bottom and 28" at the top. I planted them in mid march and they grew like crazy. Late July a bunch of leaves at the bottom turned brown overnight and fell off by the end of the day. Leaves and runners grew back really fast.

My concern is that yesterday was the first day it really looked like the plant was flowering. I see a lot of other people are already harvesting their hops. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Follow up question for anybody who has grown hops in a pot. Do you just throw the plant away or can you cut it back and store it someplace to regrow it the next year? I have a garage I can put it in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply