Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops in Minnesota - if you could only grow 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
crstevens15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Hops in Minnesota - if you could only grow 2

Hey everyone, I've been lurking on HBT for a while now. The info is great.

Anyway I'm thinking about planting a couple varieties of hops this year and was wondering how people would answer this question:

If you could only grow two varieties, what would they be?

I'm leaning towards cascade and centennial but not completely sold on centennial.

Also any suggestions for varieties that do well in Minnesota?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
DangerRoss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 105

+1

My friend I brew with ordered hops this year from Northwest Hops and he is a first time grower. He read a couple books and a whole bunch of threads, and decided on going with Cascade and Centennial like you had mentioned. He was debating between Chinook, Kent Goldings and Centennial but ended up going with centennial because of availability and he can always brew a Two Hearted Ale to use them up.

If I were you I would make a list of beer styles you tend to brew and drink the most and choose the hop variety that can produce as many as those beers as possible.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Both are great varieties for pale ale's and IPA's. If that's what you primarily brew then go for it. They both do well in MN I believe. Look especially closely at hops you use in late additions and dry hops. Using fresh whole leaf hops here helps a lot (and are more expensive than pellet bittering hops). I still plan on using the store bought pellet hops for beers where bittering is critical (w/ lab AAU%'s).

I put cascade, williamette, and hallertau in the ground last spring. Got some decent production out of the first 2. Hope to get much more this year, especially considering the longer growing season we're about to have. I like to brew a variety of American, English, and German brews. So I found that many of these recipes used late additions or dry hopping of these varieties.

I'm now wishing I had a centennial as well since I really loved the B2H clone that I made this winter. I'll keep that in mind for next year and possibly add one more variety. Give myself some time to see how the current varieties go as well.

Primary #1: Border Crossing Vienna #2: 2H IPA III
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Cider
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
crstevens15
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts. One of the reasons I'm looking for insight is that im fairly new, 3 batches under my belt.

Thus far I'm into American styles, first was an American brown, and I'm just cracking into the American amber I recently brewed as my first AG.

My hesitation is that cascades and centennials seem to be very similar and I'd like a little diversity.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
ASublimeDay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Two cascades. I love IPAs and they're good for any stage of the brew, plus they're pretty hard to screw up and you get big yields.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 709 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 273

agreed that centennial are relatively similar to cascade - i'd consider something from the noble hops family/persuasion for some variety. Perle, Spalt Select, Sterling and Santiam fit this bill. check out the spreadsheet in my signature for more info.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 03-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Flatspin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It really depends on what you like to brew. If you are just starting out, variety might be nice to push you to try new things. There are generally 3 families of hop flavor: citrus, floral, and spicy. The C hops are citrus, British varieties are more floral and earthy, and German are usually spicy.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

In my area, I've had great luck with hallertauer, cascade and chinook growing exceedingly well. Centennial is doing better than ok, willamette is barely surviving. We're in zone 3/4 here.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm in the northern half of the twin cities. Chinook and cascade have done really well. My centenials first year went well enough. We'll see how it does this year.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
idahobrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

North Idaho here, I went with Cascade and Willamette.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS