Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops looking good in South Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Pwrflpills
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops looking good in South Florida

Below is a picture of my Cascade bine from today. They're first year in a container planted in late March. Saw lots of skepticism about the bines flowering in South Florida. Contrary to that I got an early crop and so far so good. Centennials are sending out burrs now.

I remember someone saying that an early crop will be extra bitter...or something. Is there any difference in flavor of early crops? Does heat effect this? It's been REALLY hot down here the past couple weeks (heat index over 100F daily).

Regarding harvesting, the literature I received with the rhizomes said to harvest when they become drier and "paper-like", but some of the first hops could almost be described this way already. I know they're not ready yet, but is there a typical amount of time from burr formation to harvest?

Anyway, just wanted to share my experiment with everyone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

very cool! my wife and I are building a new house early next year and I'd like to start growing my own hops once it's finished... it's good to see you're having some success in the FL heat! please give us updates down the road after you harvest and brew with your hops!

Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
karbinator
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My 3rd year cascades are looking the same. I split the main 20 ways this year, and the "mother" never missed a lick. A very healthy strain for sure !!

Quick Reply