Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops have stopped growing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
BeerPressure
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hops have stopped growing

I've got cascade, chinook, pride of ringwood, and willamette. The willamette is the only one that is growing well. The rest of them have basically stopped growing anything in the past month and the bine is really thin. I have a couple pics of the problematic hops. The willamette that is growing well is a mere 5 feet from the poorly growing one. Same soil, same light, same water.

Here is the link to pics:
http://i.imgur.com/SwFDa.jpg?1
http://imgur.com/N92FI
http://imgur.com/zkz2Z
http://imgur.com/PsCYF

These are all 2 year hops.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
cram
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That happens. I think it happens most frequently when the hops get off to a too early start. A lot of folks had an early spring, so the hops were way ahead of schedule--they got going early and then stalled out. This is why some growers cut back first growth and try to get the first bines on lines toward the start of May...then again, some plants do this even when trained at an appropriate time--there's always something to learn, and questions that remain unanswered, when farming...

If it were me, right now, I'd let them be. If you ran into this a month ago, I'd say hack them back and start over. I suspect what will happen is some lateral growth will emerge from the lower half of the plant in the next few weeks. If they're first-year plants, I might let it all come up. If they're older than that, then choose three-five of the beefiest laterals and train them up, maybe one new lines so they have an easier time climbing. Two laterals will sprout at each leaf node, but one tends to be dominant. I'd train the one that gets to 12" quickest and then snip off the other one. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram View Post
That happens. I think it happens most frequently when the hops get off to a too early start. A lot of folks had an early spring, so the hops were way ahead of schedule--they got going early and then stalled out. This is why some growers cut back first growth and try to get the first bines on lines toward the start of May...then again, some plants do this even when trained at an appropriate time--there's always something to learn, and questions that remain unanswered, when farming...

If it were me, right now, I'd let them be. If you ran into this a month ago, I'd say hack them back and start over. I suspect what will happen is some lateral growth will emerge from the lower half of the plant in the next few weeks. If they're first-year plants, I might let it all come up. If they're older than that, then choose three-five of the beefiest laterals and train them up, maybe one new lines so they have an easier time climbing. Two laterals will sprout at each leaf node, but one tends to be dominant. I'd train the one that gets to 12" quickest and then snip off the other one. Good luck!
I'll let them be. I am not getting any other bines coming out of the ground from the small plants. The big willamette has many though.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
damdaman
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you may have grass strangling out your plants' root zone.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree. A good weeding and cleaning up the hop bed will help alot. All that stuff at the bottom is in competition with the hops for water and nutrients.

Cultivate the soil add some nutrients. I use tomatotone because it is on hand. Throw some pine straw down and see what happens.

Your hop bines look healthy they should have some more growth in them.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

A good batch of what ever you use for mulch would make life a *lot* easier. The hops are up and running, let the mulch stomp out everything else. Low effort / high reward / more time to drink beer. (I hate weeding ...)

Bob

Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you need to fertilize. The grass is probably taking the bulk of whatever nutrients are there.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
damdaman
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
I think you need to fertilize. The grass is probably taking the bulk of whatever nutrients are there.
Yeah I agree, clean up the bed as carefully as possible so as not to damage the hop roots when you're yanking out the grass, and fertilize.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you for your advice. I've weeded the area and fertilized. I will get some mulch this weekend.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
bhughes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a similar problem with my 2 centinniel plants. Just been staying at about 1 foot high since April. But the thing is, my 2 cascads right beside them are on schedule, about 10ft high with lots of hop burrs on them. I put a layor of compost and then topped with mulch on top of all 4 at the beginning of the season.

Quick Reply