Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops grown, then die...??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
BlueMadison
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops grown, then die...??

The first two years my hops rhibosomes were in the ground, they grew about 4 feet tall then turned yellow and died. I water them about every time I water the vegetable garden. They are growing in Northern Michigan, zone 5, in full sun, and climb up my 3 foot wire fence which I train them across.

Any ideas why they may be turning yellow and then dying about halfway through the growing season??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
bethebrew
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMadison View Post
The first two years my hops rhibosomes were in the ground, they grew about 4 feet tall then turned yellow and died. I water them about every time I water the vegetable garden. They are growing in Northern Michigan, zone 5, in full sun, and climb up my 3 foot wire fence which I train them across.

Any ideas why they may be turning yellow and then dying about halfway through the growing season??
You may have overwatered them. They like to dry out some then get watered thoroughly. Also they don't like to be watered on their leaves. Use the hose low and give them a soak every few days. It's rhizomes btw...

Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
BlueMadison
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethebrew View Post
You may have overwatered them. They like to dry out some then get watered thoroughly. Also they don't like to be watered on their leaves. Use the hose low and give them a soak every few days. It's rhizomes btw...
Thanks for the suggestion! (Thanks for the correction too! Too much biology studying...)

Quick Reply