The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops Growing Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Broadway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hops Growing Problems

I've got a couple first year hops growing. Fuggles and Willamette.

I have them running up 20' lines next to my porch. They both started out fairly strong, and look good.

One problem I've had, is that something is eating the leaves. I've used a couple different types of organic pesticide on them, but to no avail. I pretty much gave up after a while and decided to let nature take its course. Both sets of hops have lost I'd say 1/16th of their leaves (eaten away).

The Willamette are doing great... they're a bit over 7' tall, and growing noticably every day.

The Fuggles however have just stalled out, and have stayed around 6' for about two weeks now.

Any idea on why a hops plant would stall out like that? Before they stopped growing, they were growing super fast too...

I hit them with a little bit of miracle grow a while back, but other than that, I've just let them enjoy the good soil I planted them in....

Still new to all this... any advice is welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

First year growth is not what you might expect. My second year plants are three times the hight of the first year. I use an organic fungicide/pesticide spray I picked up at HD. There are a lot of pests out there that can cause you problems. Pictures of the plant/leaves and bugs can help a lot.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Old 06-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Depending on the soil they are in, the fact that they stopped growing might be a sign that you need more fertilizer/plant food. Hops are hungry and pull up a lot of nutrients. But as they are first year hops I would want to know a lot more about your growing conditions before suggesting more fertilizer; don't kill 'em! Also, the different types will behave differently. What kind of nutrients have they had? What's your soil like?

Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
rniles
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Might need fertilizer. I use Schultz' liquid 10/10/10 diluted once a week. I like the liquid as it's easier for first year plants to get those nutrients. Don't over do it but light applications seem to give good results.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
ursus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

One of my hops was eaten by snails. That might be the case with yours. There are a few options to keep them away. I used eggshells and coffee grounds and my hop took off. Now it's about 2 feet. Check early in the morning your plant for snails. During the day you will hardly see them, unless it rains.

Primary: 0
Secondary: IPA
Bottled: 0

Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
SilverSwordAlliance
Recipes 

I would suggest using organic fertilizer if you want to feed the hops, some good organic fertilizer would be bat guano or earthworm castings, not to mention compost (that you added your spent grain to I hope). As far as the pests are concerned, try to identify the pest, if its a caterpillar or similar pest I would suggest using BT (bacillus therengensis) I am sure I misspelled the species name but that should be enough to find it. If it is another pest I would recommend dusting the base of your plants with diatomacous earth, its basically little dead organisms that are made of stuff similar to glass and will cut the bugs up before they can get to your precious hops. Hope that helps, good luck!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Broadway
Recipes 

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up being called out of town for work, so, I ended up just letting them go, and waiting to see what happened.

All the fuggles are exactly the same height as when I posted this thread. But, an interesting developement occurred.

One one bine, in 4 different places, at junctions where two leaves sprout off the bine, a new shoot is growing, and wrapping up the string. One shoot is already 4 inches long.

The willamet are growing like mad though... they're a good 2 feet taller than they were when I innitially posted this.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have stuff eating my leaves, but I don't worry about it as the hops have been in for several years and they are well established. All my hops are up to the top of the wire support of 21-1/2 feet except for the Goldings. You will find that the native hops such as Willamette are much more vigorous than the imported hops.

You must like Fuggles as Willamette is a hybrid of Fuggles.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Broadway
Recipes 

I just had a friend who was growing both. She cut some off for me, so I thought I'd give a go at trying to grow them.

Personally, I haven't used anything but pellets in any of my brews.

If I get anything from these hops, I intend on giving them away to friends who also brew.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
CaliBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my EKG have stalled for a month now at 1-2", still a healthy green though.

i heard a theory from someone on here that when first years stall for a while, theyre just growing more roots down below.

not sure if this would be the case for your Fuggle though..

just a thought.

Cheers,

-Zach

Quick Reply