New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops in the Great White North

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
HopHeadGrady
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I cannot plant anything here until mid May, so all is going to work out from a time perspective. I am not anticipating any hops I can use, but I will be happy if I get a couple. I am building for the future here and to share some with my local brew mates.

I have already plotted out where I am going to be planting these suckers. Can't wait to watch em grow.

Next up is a bulk grain order.

G

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #22
squared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How is the growth going on your crop. Right now I have 2 first year cascades about 17 ft tall with massive amounts of large burrs but I am worried none of them will mature before the frost starts to hit here in Edmonton around sept 20-28 (on average).

Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My second year plants did really well this year. there are some pics in this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/show-off-your-2012-hops-garden-320960/index41.html#post4335121 and here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/show-off-your-2012-hops-garden-320960/index36.html#post4289104 I ran them up to the upstairs neighbour's deck and let out more line when they hit the top, forming coils that I hung over my railing. This allowed them to grow almost 20ft long with only 8 ft of vertical. Its a great system but there is a lot of tangling. I have a small section of fully formed willamette cones that are almost ready, a small section of cascade that are not close yet and a giant tangled mass of willamette and cascade ...but that isn't the worst blend. It will make a nice old school west coast IPA

Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah I am looking forward to this year. Last year I got a few oz from each strain I planted but overall it was wayyy too hot here and it sucked for growing. Looking for Citra rhizomes, Or Amarillo but cant find any.

- Homer Simpson

Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
gbx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeadGrady View Post
Yeah I am looking forward to this year. Last year I got a few oz from each strain I planted but overall it was wayyy too hot here and it sucked for growing. Looking for Citra rhizomes, Or Amarillo but cant find any.
You'll have to go to the black market for any of those. They aren't available to the public and only grown on a few licensed farms.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeadGrady View Post
Looking for Citra rhizomes, Or Amarillo but cant find any.
they're patented/protected varieties. only the owners, and those to whom they license, can grow them. you won't find rhizomes for sale. same deal with simcoe, athanum, palisades, etc.

your options are:
- track down the farm in WA or OR, jump the fence, and steal what you hope is one of those varieties (they grow dozens of varieties on hundreds of acres... good luck)
- order fresh hops in september, hope you get a twig, and then hope that you can sprout/root that. if you do, you need to keep it alive all winter and then plant it next year.
- find someone who has done the previous option and is willing to share/trade/sell/pimp/etc.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. That answers the question as to why I can't find any... I have Cascade, Mt Hood, and BC Goldings if anyone wants to trade.. Wicked idea on the twig...I worked in a Garden centre for years so if it can be brought back to life I will do just that...Vitamin B1 and kelp soak will help..

- Homer Simpson

Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #28
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

standard rooting powder should work well too. only prob is that a pound of fresh hops is like $30, would suck to buy one and not get any (viable) twigs...

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #29
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Oh my! Another Ottawa guy... How did the first year crop go? Did you get a significant yield? Any trouble with aphids or anything?

I'm picking up some Centennial and Cascade rhizomes, this spring, from Bristol Hops. I'd love to score some Hollertau rhizomes, too, since they smell so so sweet. Doing everything in planters, this year, since I'm planning/hoping to buy a new/bigger home in the fall/winter, and don't want to give up any of my hops

Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #30
gbx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SudsyPaul View Post
Oh my! Another Ottawa guy... How did the first year crop go? Did you get a significant yield? Any trouble with aphids or anything?

I'm picking up some Centennial and Cascade rhizomes, this spring, from Bristol Hops. I'd love to score some Hollertau rhizomes, too, since they smell so so sweet. Doing everything in planters, this year, since I'm planning/hoping to buy a new/bigger home in the fall/winter, and don't want to give up any of my hops
If you are going to put them in containers, go big. I used 125L rubbermaid storage containers with 100L of soil for EACH rhisome and they did really well. Any smaller and you definitely won't get any more than a small handful of malformed cones. I ended up giving 1 of the plants away and when it was dug up it had pretty much filled the entire container. ...but moving them was a pain when I moved over xmas as they weighed at least 150lbs

Quick Reply