The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops first time need advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
2xbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hops first time need advice

This is the first time I'm growing hops and I have a few ideas tell me what you think. I bought hop crowns from Great Lakes hops and was thinking of this set up.

An arbor trellis wooden from Home Depot that's 84" high and with two different types of hops growing on either side. Should I just start the hops on one side or is both sides too much?
Also I was going to place an eye bolt high into a tree and run a string to it. The hops will get enough sun but is there anydrawbacks todrawbacks to doing it on a tree?to this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Congrats on the choice to grow. What side of your house are you considering? I'd recommend the south side - the more sun they get the better.

For your first year, you should be able to get two plants to grow up a 4' wide x 8' tall trellis (one on the left side and one on the right side) and keep them apart relatively well. If you grow plant A on the front of the trellis and plant B on the back side, they're going to intertwine pretty quickly - making harvesting a particular plant nearly impossible. By your 2nd year and for sure by year 3, they will grow together and harvesting could be challenging to differentiate which hops go in which pail. Also, If it's a wood slat trellis, be sure you can get to the back side relatively easily - there will be cones back there at the end of the growing season.

Regarding the tree, It depends on where you are and the size of the tree. Keep in mind that the wind is going to blow the tree around, and if you get any good size storm, it could pull the eye bolt out of either the tree or the top of the trellis - and this could damage whatever is growing on the rope at the time.

Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

7 feet is a bit on the short side. 10 to 12 feet is better....16 feet is even better.

Don't plant 2 different varieties on the same arbor trellis, they will mix together and you won't have any idea which type you are picking. I once had them only 2 feet apart and they still reached out and mixed.

The only danger with the string to the tree is that the bine (2nd or third year) will keep growing and head up the tree. Then you will find yourself trying to pick hops out of the tree 20 feet up.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
2xbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

image-2455611376.jpg
I planned on attaching the hops to the tree on the right of the white house in background. The one in front of that pine. The hops would be south facing and the canopy on the tree is high and very small. Tree is very sturdy and will hold up well.
Im going to buy this wooden arbor round on top with trellis on sides do u think it be better to just plant one plant on one side and not both?

Also I'm buying hop crowns from great lakes hops which supposedly are second year plants that should produce hops this year.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
okiejoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

"The one in front of that cedar." FTFY

Looks like as good of a spot as any to me.

-Okie Joe
Primary 1: London Brown Ale
Primary 2: Punkin Seed Ale
Bottled: The Red Hand Ale, Black No.1 Ale
John Adams Winter Ale
On Deck: Farmhouse Ale, John Adams Winter Ale

Quick Reply