Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hops in containers - what about winter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
JPicasso
Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hops in containers - what about winter?

In my last house, I grew several plants on the side of my deck with great success. Growing them was not a problem, getting them to not completely take over the mulch beds, was.

We are in a new house now and I'm not enthusiastic about having to constantly trim back the plants. Also, we don't actually have room for in-ground plants. So I'm considering planting some hops around our patio for both privacy plants and perhaps even use them in my beer. Triming them should be easier since I should be able to see the bines trying to escape out of the container.

I see several articles on container growing and my question is, what do you do with the plants in winter? Containers don't have the same insulating properties as the ground does, for sure, can I just leave the plants in the containers? Should I be concerned with them freezing through? Do I have to bring them into a garage or something? I don't want them all to die for future years.

Thanks

Brew On

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm up in Madison and I leave containers out all winter. If you want to be safer, drag them next to the house and pack straw or some other insulator around them. It will help keep them warmer.

Quick Reply