Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hoppo's Hops Garden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #41
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 112

OK....here are some pics of my hops garden and it's progress. As you can see by the pics. and with my descriptions above from yesterday, some are doing great and others....not so much. The pictures do not really show the true height of tallest 4 in the bunch, but it's the best I could do. My cables are 20 ft. high and there are now within 5 feet from the top and a couple of others that are catching up quickly. The other 4 are climbing, but much slower. I will say that I was not holding out much hope in the beginning with the slow start of most of them and the sun exposure issues, but a few of the first years are really surprising me. It's looking like a few of them want to produce some first year cones a well with 3 of the vines producing some side shoots and burrs over the past week or so. As you can see, I still haven't found the time to weed and mulch the entire bed area.....not enough hours in the day.

img_2547.jpg   img_2548.jpg   img_2549.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #42
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here a few more pics., with one close up of the burrs that are forming. One of the tallest two.....a cascade is absolutely loaded with burrs. I also have another cascade and a chinook that are just starting to show signs of burr formation. Quite frankly, I have not take the best care of these vines. As you can see, there were some issues with aphids early on with tiny holes in the leafs and a couple of vines showing signs of slight over watering. Besides my initial soil mixture and initial fertilizing, I haven't fertilized at all. The most I have done is assist them in their climbing efforts and shoot them occassionally with an organic spray to try to keep the insects away. I'm pleasantly surprised that I will likely have a small first year harvest. :

If I move my hops garden to full sun next spring in an elevated bed with ideal soil conditions, I'm afraid that I may be overwhelmed in another couple of years if all 8 vines start producing to their full potential.

img_2551.jpg   img_2553.jpg   img_2554.jpg  

Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #43
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
If I move my hops garden to full sun next spring in an elevated bed with ideal soil conditions, I'm afraid that I may be overwhelmed in another couple of years if all 8 vines start producing to their full potential.
No such thing as too many hops

They are looking good - I agree with you that they need more sun and they will go nuts. Nice work!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Looking good man! Are those Cascades from my rhizomes? Mine went pretty insane the first year too - lots and lots of burrs. I had 6 plants my first year, 12 my second year and I'm back to 6 again this year. Your 2nd year harvest will (should be) be overwhelming. With your schedule, you'll probably have a harvesting party and invite a couple friends over to pick cones.

Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #45
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys. Yeah Ted, the cascades are from the rhizomes you sent. I have to say that with the exception of the centennial, the 2 cascades and the 2 chinooks that you sent are doing really well. I'm not sure what is up with the centennial, except for the fact that it is closest to the tree and there was a mild aphid issue early on with that particular vine and a couple of others. The rhizomes that I purchased from my HBS pale in comparison to the ones that you were gracious enough to send my way. With the rhizomes from my HBS the hallertau was doing ok until first 2 climbing bines snapped in a wind storm when my lower anchor of the climbing line let lose due to rope rotting. The columbus is doing fair and the glacier (the beefiest of all of the rhizomes planted) is sucking hind tit. I'm just going to sit back and see what happens. Even the ones that are lagging behind in climbing height are filling out really nice, so hopefully a decent root structure will be established. I will then consider transplanting to an elevated bed in full sun in my back yard in the spring.

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 07-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #46
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Both of my Centennial are the same - the Chinook and Cascades are 2-3x the size - EASY. Just a different species.
Be careful with the Chinooks - the bank next to my house have called the cops on her twice - trying to stuff vines up the drive-up tubes. I think she may take over my yard. I don't let my kids near her.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #47
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's some funny sh*t! Post some pics of that beast when you get a chance, I'd love to see her.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #48
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

CONES ARE FORMING!!!! (pics. this wk. end)

I think I'm going to devote everything that I'm able to harvest to one big wet hopped IPA! Just need to figure out a wet hopping schedule based on what I harvest. It's not going to be a truck load of hops by any means, but I want to use what I get and really don't want to go through the drying process with a limited first year harvest. Those with experience....give me some advice here, because this will be my first go around with home grown hops. I know that you can only estimate AAU% based on variety and the lupulin production may be less than maximal with first year hops, but I'm gonna use 'em anyway. Does anyone know an approximate correlation between wet and dry hops.....meaning 1 oz. of typical dried whole leaf hops = how many ounces of wet hops? Advice would be appreciated!

Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #49
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
CONES ARE FORMING!!!! (pics. this wk. end)

I think I'm going to devote everything that I'm able to harvest to one big wet hopped IPA! Just need to figure out a wet hopping schedule based on what I harvest. It's not going to be a truck load of hops by any means, but I want to use what I get and really don't want to go through the drying process with a limited first year harvest. Those with experience....give me some advice here, because this will be my first go around with home grown hops. I know that you can only estimate AAU% based on variety and the lupulin production may be less than maximal with first year hops, but I'm gonna use 'em anyway. Does anyone know an approximate correlation between wet and dry hops.....meaning 1 oz. of typical dried whole leaf hops = how many ounces of wet hops? Advice would be appreciated!
Now I'm no expert, but I believe it's about a 5:1 ratio of wet:dry weight.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #50
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Alright Hopphippo, or whatever your name is.

I used my entire 1st year harvest in one batch ~13oz in a 5 gallon batch. I was not familiar with the aroma of hops and I figured if I were going to wreck a batch of beer, I would only wreck one - and that I would wreck the **** out of it by using them all. I dried mine for a week or something though. Then froze them in a non-air-tight ziplock for like 2 months.

Here's the thread and recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/curious-about-using-home-grown-hops-215200/

This ended up being one of the best beers I've ever made and I have not been able to re-create it. I've tried twice and I'm going to keep going until I hit it. This is one instance where I wish I would have taken careful notes because this beer would have probably won awards - like best beer in all the kingdom universe. The goal was to have a very light-colored and hop forward beer that made it VERY clear as to the bitterness and flavor. I wanted to know exactly what they tasted like and did to the beer. What I didn't account for was the volume of liquid that was left in the hop cones themselves. I only had about 4.5 gallons of beer to ferment so I sanitized a pail and a 5 gallon strainer bag, poured the kettle-sludge, hops and all into the bag, in the pail and rung the liquid out as much as I could - and then dumped the liquid into the carboy. Oh yeah, I sanitized my hands too. Ask Paul's mistress, this beer was amazing. I'm serious.

Quick Reply