New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hoppo's Hops Garden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #21
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhughes View Post
Dang you've got a nice house. Love the yard and landscaping too.
Thank you. We built it 6 years ago. We moved from 1/2 acre to 2 1/2 acres, so it's a lot more work, but the seclusion and wildlife are worth it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
I'm using 246lb. rated aircraft cables from eye bolt, to eye bolt between the two sets of trees to create two separate trellis system.
Here's your first problem. This rated capacity is not even close heavy duty enough. Take it down and start over.

This is great to see! I'm very much looking forward to how well those rhizomes do. I'll give you your money back if they don't take off. Oh, and by the way, one of those Chinooks is actually a Simcoe. SHHHH.

An honest question though - How are you going to harvest these? Do you have a big-ass folding ladder? Or, is the plan to lean a ladder against the 5,932,069lb rated aircraft cable?

Also, for future years, you may want to build open-bottomed boxes around your crowns for two reasons: (1) to keep the hops from taking over your acreage and (2) because it is a lot easier to trim a crown that is confined. Trimming the crowns makes the plant focus it's energy and efforts where YOU Want them rather than where they want.

Sweetcel: "try this, it was dry-hopped with a lot of climax."

Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlocked View Post
This is great to see! I'm very much looking forward to how well those rhizomes do. I'll give you your money back if they don't take off. Oh, and by the way, one of those Chinooks is actually a Simcoe. SHHHH.

Sweet....Send me an Amarillo and a Citra as well!

An honest question though - How are you going to harvest these? Do you have a big-ass folding ladder? Or, is the plan to lean a ladder against the 5,932,069lb rated aircraft cable?

Smart A$$! The entire cable lowers down. I just have to back out the lag bolts that secure the ends of the cables further down the tree trunks and lower the entire cable down for harvesting. I'm going to tie heavy duty rope to the ends of the cables and wrap it around a cleat, so that I can control the descent of the cable and it doesn't come crashing down once the lag bolts are backed out. I plan on backing out the lag bolts this weekend and giving the cable a little more slack to allow sway of the trees. We had a descent storm yesterday and I kept a close eye on the cables and there were not issues. I figure if I provide a little slack and drop the middle of the span by a foot or so, I'll still have plenty of height and it will allow for unrestricted sway of the trees.......seem logical?

Also, for future years, you may want to build open-bottomed boxes around your crowns for two reasons: (1) to keep the hops from taking over your acreage and (2) because it is a lot easier to trim a crown that is confined. Trimming the crowns makes the plant focus it's energy and efforts where YOU Want them rather than where they want.
OK.....how deep do the boxes need to go to prevent the root system from going underneath? I'm sure I can whip something together in my spare time. I assume that I will need to use pressure treated lumber....what dimensions would you recommend.....would 3 ft. x 3 ft. be enough?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #24
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Ah, you're smarter than I am, I didn't know the whole cable was able to be lowered. Well done! The boxes that I built were only 12" deep and I think that's enough to contain the rhizomes. You can let the root system go as deep as it wants. I used some super cheap treated cedar fence boards for like three bucks a piece and untreated 2x2's for the corners. I think 3'x3' would be perfect. I think mine are 2'x2' and they are just fine..

Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

There isn't any danger of them spreading too far during year 1, is there? I have a laundry list of sh*t that I need to do around my house and property, so if I can put this off until next year, that would be great. My property was ravished by emerald ash bores over the past years, so I had 8 standing, dead ash trees and another 5 or six on the ground. I spent the entire day yesterday felling several trees and cutting them up. On the bright side, I have plenty of campfire wood for the year. Luckily, the majority of the other hardwoods on my property are cherry, oak, and a few maples. I still have 3 more standing trees and a few leaners to take care of......not to mention weeding all of the landscape beds, bringing in 30 yards of mulch, planting my garden, planting my asparagus patch, power washing/re-sealing my patios, filling/rebalancing my hot tub, getting the sprinkler system up and running......and the list goes on, and on, and on......

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #26
Gridlocked
Recipes 

Nope, I built and dropped my boxes down on the 2nd year. They'll put their energy into establishing themselves this year rather than spreading. Get to your laundry list and let them do their thing. Ah, the joys of being six-figures in debt (home ownership) right? I have a side irrigation business so if you ever run into a problem you can't figure out and need someone to walk you through it, just let me know.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #27
BrewChem
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 38 Posts

Nice setup Hippo... same basic theory as mine but much better built. The only thing you have to add now is patience and TLC... you know, keep the weeds out, don't overwater, blah-blah-blah...!

I'll be keeping an eye on your thread so keep the pix coming as those little buggers sprout and turn into hoppy beasts..!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #28
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks guys! Going home to check on the little b*stards right now and to do some mowing and get the sprinkler system up and running. I should be good Ted, but I'll let you know if I need your expertise. I installed sprinkler systems for a landscaping crew for 3 years while in grad. school, so I'm good with the basics. I may need some advice on how to add another control panel and extend the system down to the front of my property. I'll keep pics. coming once things get a little more exciting.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #29
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Hey Little Fella

Well it has only been 6 days since the rhizomes went into the ground, so I wasn't expecting anything yet. I got home from work and checked the mounds and the Hallertau broke through first. Nothing exciting at this point, but at least there are signs of life already. The rhizomes that I potted for a week or so to start the growth (cascades, centennial, chinooks) were planted a little deeper than the three that I got from my HBS, but I still expected one of them to break the surface first. It's funny, the hop variety least likely to succeed in my region (as I have been told by a few HBT members) shows the first signs of life. Here are a couple of crappy little pics. of the little guy......nothing terribly exciting at this point.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #30
BrewChem
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppopotomus View Post
......nothing terribly exciting at this point.
You got growth...!! I was pretty excited when mine first popped through..!!

Quick Reply