Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hoppo's Hops Garden

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 118

OK, here are some final pics., as I just finished up before it started raining! I got them all planted, dished the tops of the mounds, and watered each rhizome mound. I then put 1/2 bag of cedar mulch around each mound to help maintain moisture. My sprinkler system in the front of my yard can be adjusted to irrigate this area, so I'm all set there. This area was originally filled with thick scrub brush and vines when we built the house. We cleared it out last summer and kind of created a large perimeter landscape bed. It looks like crap now, but we plan on spraying total vegetation killer in the perennial bed adjacent to the hops garden (don't worry, there's some distance between the bed and the garden), then laying landscape fabric and mulching the entire area. The cedar mulch around the mounds is for now, but that entire area will be heavily mulched eventually.

I need to back down on some of these brewing projects, because there just isn't enough time in the day to keep up with everything.

img_2499.jpg   img_2500.jpg   img_2502.jpg   img_2503.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Ah, yup. Now that you've pointed that out I can see them. Good idea! Way to use your environment instead of adding structure.
I originally was going to build a big beefy trellis system in my back yard, but remembered that when we build our home that the back of my property is all clay and the front was all sand. If I would have planted in the back, I would have had to build an elevated bed and brought in a crap load of material. Our house sits 400 feet off of the road and when you pull up our driveway, you can't even see hops garden if you aren't looking for it. The only way that I could talk my wife into letting me grow hops in the front was to do so at the front corner of our lawn, which isn't visible from the road. I hope this works, because it has been a lot of work!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
rawlus
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A comment, don't know if you thought of it or not, securing the aircraft cable completely may cause problems if those trees need to be able to sway in the wind or storm, you could risk pulling a lag eye out, snapping a cable or something else destructive. You now the trees in questions better than I do so I'm only throwing this out there.

What I have done with large dipole antennas for ham radio is to secure he cable on one tree, but use a pulley on the other and run the cable to a weight near the ground that is capable of supporting the load, this allows the trees to continue to sway in wind without affecting the cable at all, because it can free-float through the pulley... You can add tension simply by adding weight to the end with the pulley....

Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Looks good!

Got Hops?

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #15
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
A comment, don't know if you thought of it or not, securing the aircraft cable completely may cause problems if those trees need to be able to sway in the wind or storm, you could risk pulling a lag eye out, snapping a cable or something else destructive. You now the trees in questions better than I do so I'm only throwing this out there.

What I have done with large dipole antennas for ham radio is to secure he cable on one tree, but use a pulley on the other and run the cable to a weight near the ground that is capable of supporting the load, this allows the trees to continue to sway in wind without affecting the cable at all, because it can free-float through the pulley... You can add tension simply by adding weight to the end with the pulley....
Thanks for the feedback. I will certainly keep a close eye on things to make sure that the cables aren't being stretched or the eye bolts aren't working their way out. If I detect any signs of failure, I will certainly take your weighted pulley system advice. Thanks again!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
pigroaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default weights and pulleys

My medium trees ( under 16 inches diam) move in high winds especially 2o feet up. Great idea. I used 3 x 3 x 1/8 tubing because I did not think of the weight idea. Super thought!! I was thinking of a spring attached to coated clothesline wire to take the shock when the trees moved. Your weights allow more movement. I abandoned trees for posts in inserts (larger tubing) in the ground so I could lower them in place with a bobcat and chain with was attached to a short chain welded in centre of each upright. The insert piece had 3 plates on the sides at the top to direct the long tube in place. Worked like a dream as the piece was arched in position with a chain on the bucket. Copper water pipe was used to lock the pipes together and finally hardwood wedges acted as a secondary backup.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
bhughes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dang you've got a nice house. Love the yard and landscaping too.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Cool setup - one concern I'd have growing that close to big trees like that is your hop plants will be competing with tree roots for water/nutrients. Once the tree roots find the area of loose, enriched soil that you tilled up, they'll be sending out more roots there which will likely run right through your hop beds. Hops are tough plants, but they can't compete with a tree. You may have to keep an eye on it and maybe cut back any invading tree roots.

My sister owns a house on Seymour Lake in Ortonville - I lived in her boathouse for 9 months a while back when I was going thru my vagabond phase of life. I love that area.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Great advice. I plan on tilling around the perimeter of the hops garden several times per season with my neighbors rototiller, which can till down pretty deep. Hopefully this will help cut down on root infiltration into the hops garden region and help maintain a well draining area. We'll see what happens.

Plan on doing the same thing for an asparagus patch next week. My dad gave me a bunch of asparagus root and I don't have anyplace else to put it. I think that as long as I do a consistent deep till to the surrounding soil, it should prevent root infiltration. Thoughts?

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
Hoppopotomus
Cedar Hollow Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My sister owns a house on Seymour Lake in Ortonville - I lived in her boathouse for 9 months a while back when I was going thru my vagabond phase of life. I love that area.[/QUOTE]

My first home was in a subdivision at Seymour Lk. and Baldwin Rd. in CountryView Estates. I now live north off of Oakwood Rd. about 1/4 west of Baldwin Rd., which I like so much better. I went from 1/2 acre to 2 1/2 acres with lots of seclusion. Small world!

Hoppo's Rustic Basement Bar Build:

Hoppo's Knotty Pine/Cedar Log Keezer Build:

Hoppo's Rustic Dual Fermentation Chamber Builds:

Hoppo's Motorized Grain Mill:

Hoppo's Rustic E-Brewery Build:

Quick Reply