hop weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
I am growing 10 first year vines, like everyone some are doing better than others. One of my cascades has maybe 150-200 buds on it. I was curious is anyone had some sort of approximation of how many single hop cones made up an ounce? Alternately, how much does an average single cone weigh? I haven't used whole hops in a while so I don't have any lying around right now.
Just curious
-ander

I am interested as well. I am also curious as to how to adjust a recipe for whole hops versus pellets.

-Todd

200 cones dried will be about 1/2 an ounce. Better get propagating come spring ;-) J/K. I'm curious too and have an accurate enough scale to find out for ya. I'll sacrifice one of my monster-yet-not-quite ready to pick cones tonight and dry it out.

wow, 200 cones is .5 oz? In the past when I have used whole leaf hops it didn't seen like 400 hop cones made up 1 oz but I could be wrong. Man, I thought I was better off than that.
-ander

Ya, I would say 20-30 cones are 1/2oz. No way that many cones fit into my little tupperware container I measure in

I recently picked 1/2 of a brown paper shopping bag of hallerteau hops. Dried them for 5 days, then packed them into a ziplock bag (very sticky and aromatic). The bag weighed 2 ounces. Not that much for all those hops.

Sorry, the J/K means just kidding. Though I was joking, it really does seem to take a ton more volume to make up an ounce. If I'm remembering correctly, one ounce of dried whole hops is about how much you could hold in one hand, palm up.

Sorry, the J/K means just kidding. Though I was joking, it really does seem to take a ton more volume to make up an ounce. If I'm remembering correctly, one ounce of dried whole hops is about how much you could hold in one hand, palm up.

I think it's even more than that (unless you have really big hands). IIRC, an ounce of loosely packed dried whole cones was about 3 cups, maybe pushing 4.

I pulled a hefty sized cone off the chinook tonight and it weighed in at .01 oz wet, as in undried. So, it would take about 100 wet cones to make an ounce. I'm figuring that when it dries, it should take at least 200 per ounce. I though I was kidding originally.

Cone size varies (Magnums are about 10 times as large as Cascades), but I suspect you'll have an ounce or three dried.

Dried cones are about 1/6th wet. The ratio is lower for high AA hops and higher for something like Saazer. The resins have very little water in them.

I picked a Chinook cone yesterday and another one today. They're about the size of the tip of my thumb.

hopconejuly12th.jpg

This is the freshly picked one, weighing in at half a gram.
hopconejuly12thfresh.jpg

Here's a similar sized one that I picked yesterday and let sit in my hot garage overnight. It doesn't even register.
hopconejuly12thdry.jpg

The cones feel pretty papery and I'm wondering if anyone knows whether these might be ready to pick or should I wait longer.

At this point I'm just going by what I've read, but according to those "in-the-know", when the cones are ripe, the tips of the leaves in the cone will just start to turn brown, they'll feel more papery, and perhaps most importantly, the luplin will be a deep yellow along the lines of a roadway stripe. Sure looks like you're getting close, if you're not already there.

Chris

Cone size varies (Magnums are about 10 times as large as Cascades), but I suspect you'll have an ounce or three dried.

Dried cones are about 1/6th wet. The ratio is lower for high AA hops and higher for something like Saazer. The resins have very little water in them.

10X?!?!?! Are you sure? That would be the size of a lemon based on the size of my cascade hops! That's huge (I guess hence the name). :D

I am growing 10 first year vines, like everyone some are doing better than others. One of my cascades has maybe 150-200 buds on it. I was curious is anyone had some sort of approximation of how many single hop cones made up an ounce? Alternately, how much does an average single cone weigh? I haven't used whole hops in a while so I don't have any lying around right now.
Just curious
-ander
Did you ever get an awnser for this question because I have the same one, my first year cascade has about 200 + or - flowers starting

Did you ever get an awnser for this question because I have the same one, my first year cascade has about 200 + or - flowers starting
My rule of thumb is to expect nothing the first year and little the second year.

If i remember correctly, a kitchen sized trash bag yields about 6 oz dried hops.

I about 4g of a 5g bucket of wet cascade cones as a whirlpool addition for a rye IPA. Tasty beer.You will get less than you think. Now in year five, my cascade bines are a vanity project more than anything else.

I have a few questions about the weight of hop shoots. Do you know how many hop shoots make a kilogram? As in how much do they weigh? I was also wondering how often they grow and if they can grow after being cut. Also, how many shoots appear per plant?

Latest posts

Back