New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
DMCarson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default 04/16/2010 container hops put into the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCarson View Post
Today I did the "initial" cut of the first vines to start growing, giving some more energy to back to the roots prior to allowing the second set of vines to go and keep growing. Several of them had almost 10 starter vines and they were the healthy dark brown instead of the beginner, immature light green vines. This will be a great season I think, just need to drop them into the ground this week with some bags of manure under them.

NEARLY A MONTH LATER:

I dug out the location of where the hops will be put into the ground. It was good I got to it. I would have to say that the first season in the containers I would still recommend but would have to say that immediately after the season ends...(if your in a zone like zone 9 that doesn't have to worry about frost) stick them in the ground when all is done in say...november. The roots as you will see below were very strong and developed and in search of more room. So much that they made their way into the ground through the drainage holes of the containers. This would not have been so bad if they could still drain but with roll of nickel size roots the holes were plugged. I luckily drip system water them sparingly and they werent too soaked by the time I got them out of the containers. I did lose one to it rotting from the moisture. So take a look at the photos below and lean from my mistakes and triumphs...>>>

Started out with digging out the trench, all the soil is basically clay because it was filler soil when the house plots/foundations were set.

I tossed in some gypsum and cultivated it into the clay to allow the clay to absorb water instead of repelling it.

next up some manure to help replenish the soil, I also evenly mixed 50/50 compost with the top soil(clay) with things like manure, soil amender, gypsum, and other 16-16-16 fertilizer to help feed the hops

as you can see the roots were flourishing prior to the season ending. I was very happy to get them out of the containers.

----------------
FALLEN FLAG BREWERY CO-FOUNDER
-------

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole 'brevity thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #12
DMCarson

Recipes 

Default 04/16/2010 container hops put into the ground. part 2

this is the cascade with the container removed. I actually opted to cut the containers in half and utilize the top half to provide support to the "mound" I also as you will see in lower pictures set up the hop twine to run up each side of the plant. I also was able to thin out the base of each vine. It is important to wait till the vine is about 3-4 feet long so that it has enough leaves on it that when it loses the bottom foot of leaves it still has enough to continue to grow strong. The reason that this is so important to cut out the bottom leaves is to allow the plants to have good air flow at the base and also has good loose soil that allows proper drainage. Watering just before sun up allows the leaves to be protected from being burnt when people water to late. Also only water the base of the plant. Refrain from letting the leaves get wet. White powdery mildew will inspire the leaves to turn yellow and limp.

Now for more pictures.

The above pictures were before the vines were thinned out. I selected the best 3-4 per hop twine line and wrapped them around the twin clock wise to follow the sun.

You might also notice the bark ground cover to help keep some moisture in the soil. It helps cut down on the soils moisture evaporating out into the air.

notice the williamette is taller than I am after a little more than one month.

I was going to sink in stakes but decided to go with more stable eye bolts and running the lines up form the collars cut from the containers(fyi $6 at home depot)

----------------
-------

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole 'brevity thing.

Last edited by DMCarson; 04-18-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
DMCarson

Recipes 

Well thats it for now, will add more after probably another month of growth.

----------------
-------

Quick Reply