New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop starter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
DMCarson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Hop starter

I started growing hops last year. Before I actually really got deep into brewing...partly cause I like growing veggies etc, and since I was a kid was always told I had a green thumb. Never believed em til I grew an orchid.

So I read in a brewing magazine a way to do it in tubs. I found at home depot the cheapest 19 gals for about $4-$6. Also take not I got a little bit of a slow start because I didnt plant til 4/03. You can order from freshops.com early in march. Because of this I had a limited selection. I chose Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Mt Hood, Nugget, and Galena(later added willamete)

04/03/2009

Thats a larks head on a pvc at the bottom where I drilled holes.

I then picked up potting soil, I went with the coir infused miracle grow moisture control, I wouldnt choose this again...I would go with the norm miracle grow.

My father works/worked with aluminum angle for a curtan wall(skyrise construction) company so I have lots of experience with that so I threw something together for a at the time (temp?) trellis.

I would say about 1 bag per tub. Also .... drip system will save your sanity and will allow your vines to get their water not only when they need it, how much they need, and every morning. I wouldnt leave it up to my memory or availability to do this. Drip systems arnt hard to put together and their not terribly expensive if your serious about this kind of venture.

Freshops.com has lots of help on your rhizomes so check it out but basically put your roots in the fridge when they come(faster shipping helps based on your distance from them) One of my roots after a week or two had some white fuzzy spots on them and they recommended me to use a bleach solution brush it on the spots then rinse it and put it back in the soil. The reason for the spots was possibly humidity in transit. So also flip som manure and good blood and bone meal in your soil mixed toward the bottom and top. Ive heard 16-16-16 slow release pellets if your that lazy or I watered with mix in fertilizer food solution every 1-2 weeks.

The following are after a month, they vary because certain ones got sun almost all of the day. Some 3/4 of the day. Also remember to clip the first couple shoots that come up, give way for stronger ones. also allow about 2 vines per twine(rope). I have 2 rhizomes of the same kind in each tub because I ran 2 trellis twines. The twin is made of coconut husk fibers. when you plant them plant with the "knots" up or if you have shoots plant with those up. Also I placed wood chip mulch on the soil to keep the moisture from drying out with surface sun.

05/03/2009

cascade

centennial

chinook

willamette 2 weeks(planted later)

galena

mt hood

----------------
FALLEN FLAG BREWERY CO-FOUNDER
-------

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole 'brevity thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
DMCarson

Recipes 

nugget

OLD DOG RUN< FUTURE GARDEN AND HOME OF HOPS

While working on the garden in the back I saw a fox which is wierd cause I live in Los Angeles Suburbia coyotes are much more common but yeah it was cool

When the bines from the main vine start reaching a tip and also have off shoots these which will grow out and duplicate cell upon cell to produce the hops bracts.

This all occurred at about 05/25/2009

06/08/2009

----------------
-------

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole 'brevity thing.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
DMCarson

Recipes 

the rope is because wind blew the whole thing over.

GOTTA LOVE WHEN YOUR GIRLFRIEND MAKES AN EFFORT TO GET INVOLVED

also 06/08/2009

Now while I was away it fell over again...and I had some casualties. one galena broke low and grew back to the height by the end of my southern cal growing season(sept/oct/nov) but never produced substantial hop harvest. The other was a section of another vine.

this hastened the move to my plan a little sooner.

galvanized fence pipe about 15' each in height. ran a rope over the top so I could lower the vines for harvest.

I was lucky to have the fence posts cemented into the ground to slide the two coupled 15.5' pipes equaling to a 31' trellis.

This is a picture of the smaller second harvest. the hops that each plant produces vary in size and amount depending on when you harvest. the goal is to harvest them when they reach their peak size but in year two I imagine they will focus their energy on he flower production and not as much the root. The bracts(flower pedals) will turn from a leathery texture to a papery feel and it is then time.

So after harvesting I dried them on a window screen in the shed allowing for no wind and a warm low/zero moisture temp even at night. Light is also discouraged. All info can be found on freshops.com I ended with about 3 low to medium harvests from 2 of my hop types, 2 from 2 others and 1 from 1 other. The galena never produced after the mishap. Hopefully this year.
From what Ive read they dont usually even produce a harvest the first year because their root focus takes energy. The hops are dry enough when the center twig in the middle of the cone snaps in half instead of just bending. You should then invest and buy a food saver and seal them in weighted 1 and 1/2 oz amounts then freeze them in a brown paper bag. They smash and I would suggest maybe placing them in nylon or musilyn hop bags before sealing them because the yellow lubilin will be squeezed out onto the inside of the seal bags when you want it going into your wort. Another idea to help with length of freshness is to purge the bag with co2 before filling it with your hops then foodsaver vacseal it.

Also this year I am moving the roots into the ground out of the tubs. I will be diggin about 2 feet down and placing manure in the bottom .5 foot then planting soil and some compost 50/50 mix the root will be in the 2nd foot and will place a hill mound on the top soil to allow for moisture assistance, also another trick to help with the morning dew is to remove the bottom 4 ft of leaves after the vines get to about 8+ feet. Allowing for the leaves towards the cooler bottom to not be there to be at risk for mildew(white cloudy sweat stain looking disease) that eventually turns to a yellow leaf which should be pulled off. if you have the white cloudy stain lightly spray a hydrogen peroxide/water 1-6 solution in the am to help kill the mildew spray.

----------------
-------

Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
DMCarson

Recipes 

Unrelated: after my jalopenos, bell peppers, 3 basils, and other stuff got into their rightful spots in the new box garden(also drip system)

The following is after they started to die and cut back, certain ones sooner than others based on their type I believe or also some mildew effects. the two vines that had three "harvests" produced the last towards the end.

as you can see they get rather large, this is the chinook, (they all have their own disctinct look also both hop and leaf, youll pick up on them)

CURRENT PICS COMING SOON

----------------
-------

Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great job Dave! can't wait to grow some more this year.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
DMCarson

Recipes 

Default Their heeerrrreee

Today I did the "initial" cut of the first vines to start growing, giving some more energy to back to the roots prior to allowing the second set of vines to go and keep growing. Several of them had almost 10 starter vines and they were the healthy dark brown instead of the beginner, immature light green vines. This will be a great season I think, just need to drop them into the ground this week with some bags of manure under them.

----------------
-------

Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
thehines
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I couldn't see any of the pictures but would like too?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
DMCarson

Recipes 

Is any one else having this problem?

----------------
-------

Old 03-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I can see all the pics...maybe his internet is running slow as they are larger sized images....

Old 03-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
thehines
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I see them just fine now??? Not sure what was going on earlier, but looks good thanks

Quick Reply