Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > The hop shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #341
caskconditioned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

What kind of yield can you expect from one plant for the first year (assuming conditions are good)?

I also just read that India's consumption of beer is growing like crazy, and along with Chinese, they will create a shortage for many years to come.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #342
Brew Runner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It depends on what kind of hops you're growing to begin with. Some are abundant producers naturally, some aren't.

I'm not a pro, but I would guess roughly one pound per plant in the first season if the stars are in alignment. The good thing is that hops multiply, so you can cut your own rhizomes and plant more.....and more, and more, and more.

I need to get some high alpha rhizome varieties this month.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:46 AM   #343
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I just went to my LHBS today, and they had pretty much everything in stock (except for EKG). They attributed it to their new policy of 3 oz. maximum of hops for each batch you buy ingredients for. It's been working out great for me, every few batches I have enough leftover hops for a higher hopped batch.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 02-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #344
foxtrot
Recipes 

Anyone out there think the "hop shortage" is a scam? (I love a good conspiracy). I was at my LHBS and they had a fairly good selection and only charging $2 an oz. Said they have no supply issues. You know how gas prices shoot up when there's a hurricane near oil rigs??? And then we hear about record profits 6 months later... Hmmm.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #345
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
Anyone out there think the "hop shortage" is a scam? (I love a good conspiracy). I was at my LHBS and they had a fairly good selection and only charging $2 an oz. Said they have no supply issues. You know how gas prices shoot up when there's a hurricane near oil rigs??? And then we hear about record profits 6 months later... Hmmm.

There are stores that purchased their hops in advance of the shortage or paid in advance for upcoming hops. They will have plenty of hops, but not always the ones they need. The stores that weren't paying attention will not have any hops.

The place that most stores buy their hops don't have much to sell and the other source (who buys them from the first source) is rationing out only 25 oz per week to homebrew stores.

The first sign I saw of the shortage is when Anheiser-Bush bought all of the Cascade they could find. It was funny to see some homebrew stores (who hadn't heard that there was not going to be any Cascade available for a couple of years) selling Cascade at a clearance price of $6.99 a pound. I bought what I could from them. Now the cascade is up to $50 a pound.

There will be a lot of homebrew stores that will go out of business because of the hop shortage. It is a real problem.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:01 PM   #346
Big10Seaner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yep the $50 per pound for cascade is about right. I paid $3.25 an ounce for fresh cascade hops this past weekend for use in my IPA. I don't think I'll be making many more IPAs any time soon, they're gonna be way too expensive.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #347
lembeck2001
Recipes 

I bought a Pale Ale extract kit over the weekend that was meant to have Cascade hops in it. They were all substituted with Galena hops.

I'm assuming Galena is a common replacement for Cascade when necessary? They smelled absolutely delicious - similar to Cascade.

.....Although after reading up some more, sounds like this brew might be a bit more on the bitter side with Galena.

Last edited by lembeck2001; 02-11-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #348
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
there was not going to be any Cascade available for a couple of years
Now this really does not make sense to me. The growing season is what, 5-6 months, "Keep in mind, normal hop havesting begins here in the states about the 20th of August," according to hopsdirect, yet it will take a couple of years to get any of the most popular aroma variety, all the way from Washington state? I hopefully will have some of my own cascade come the end of this growing season along with a couple other varieties, but this has got to be a joke right?

Now I could MAYBE understand not being able to get saaz or some of the other german nobles, because we don't grow those here, but seriously, AHS is saying January 2010 until there are any cascade, just hard for me to believe. Somehow we have gone from the largest held inventory of hops ever last year with approx. 85mil pounds, 23% more than '06 and 12% more than '05 according to the US Dept. of Agriculture, to having next to none now?

I'm waiting for this years hop stock report to see what's really going on, till then I have a decent supply, let's just hope something happens soon and we find that huge cache of hops that someone has been overlooking.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #349
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikestuff
Now this really does not make sense to me. The growing season is what, 5-6 months, "Keep in mind, normal hop havesting begins here in the states about the 20th of August," according to hopsdirect, yet it will take a couple of years to get any of the most popular aroma variety, all the way from Washington state? ...
Cascade will be grown and sold, but only to firms with the foresight to put a contract in place before the 'crisis'. So Cascade will be out there, but its not likely you'll be able to get your hands on any.

Here is a BYO article on the hop shortage that you might find interesting. It describes how the hop market works, where all the hops are going, and why homebrewers are having a hard time finding any.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-12-2008, 02:18 AM   #350
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just received (on the ol' front porch) from hops direct:
1# galana
1# williamette
1# Fuggles

So far I'm doing pretty well. I think I'm locked on for the year. Before this shipment I had 47 Oz of various hops in the freezer. So I'm good. but I'll keep my eyes open for a deal here and there.

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Quick Reply