Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > The hop shortage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #331
drunkatuw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I know it's not a great price, but like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, morebeer.com has cascade whole leaf back in stock at $16.80/lb (4oz * $4.20). I bought a few other hops and a new manifold to get free shipping. I got a total of 28 oz for $36.80, so $1.31/oz which is about as good of a price as I've seen lately.

Sure makes me wish I bought a couple lbs when my LHBS was selling stuff for $11/lb, but back then I was buying kits and didn't need to buy hops on their own.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #332
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I talked to Dave at Fresh Hops yesterday. He was out cutting rhizomes. Looks like everyone is expecting a run on rhizomes with all the "grow your own" talk going on.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #333
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
I talked to Dave at Fresh Hops yesterday. He was out cutting rhizomes. Looks like everyone is expecting a run on rhizomes with all the "grow your own" talk going on.
It will be interesting to see what kind of beer people produce with home grown hops. I for one know little to nothing about growing them, but even I have a pre-order in at Midwest.
I predict a "how to grow hops" stickey before the spring really takes off. Freshops.com has a bit of a growing guide available. Just got to interpret all the gardening mumbo jumbo into a "beer drinking" level of instruction. SO as long as were on the topic... what does everyone plan on planting this year?

I'm planting cascade, fuggles, williamette, golding, Northern Brewer, and sterling.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 02-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #334
superfluent
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vels
Stocked up on everything last fall, but for various reasons i have not been brewing since last August.

So with a freezer full of hops and the "hop shortage" not really affecting prices and availability greatly over here i just threw 1.5 oz of hops in my secondary, so my 5 gal of IPA will have taken 6 oz all in all.

Then i come online to look at what my HBS have to offer on malt these days. I have not bought malt for 7-8 months as i buy my base malts in 50# sacks and really stock up on the special malts from time to time.

Now all the Weiermann malts cost 180-200% of what i paid last time

Well, only option now is to pay up, or start using corn or rice to stretch the malts

Jakob
Yes, over here in northern europe the effects of the "hop shortage" seems allmost non-existent. I'm not really that concerned about the hop or malt prices because the way I see it the time and effort I put into brewing my 5 gl batches grossy outweighs the cost of the grains and hops.

I run my own buissness and I could easilly work 24/7. From time to time I choose to take (half) a day off, relax and brew (or doing something else I feel like doing).

When adding the lost income into the equation it probably approaches 20 bucks a beer so high hop prices isn't really a concern when you look at it that way...

H

Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #335
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I'm planning for Summit dwarf, also maybe some Sunbeam (albino, likes shade) and I definitely am thinking about either a Cascade or a Fuggle/Golding/something.

I'm still debating if this will work, though, because I'm on a major arterial street, so it's fairly bright outside, even at night. I'm worried it's bright enough that they won't flower.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #336
Mustangj

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher

Do you know which types they are going to sell?

Michigan Mashers
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/michigan-mashers/

Old 02-08-2008, 04:32 AM   #337
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I put my pre-order in yesterday for cascade, nugget and williamette at northern brewer. If I have room, I still may go for a golding variety, but I'm "borrowing" my parents backyard for the season since apartments don't have yards, so we'll see.

I have heard that AA's are greatly affected by climate, so does anyone have any ideas on how to test the levels in our homegrown hops since we sre growing them in a wide range of climates?

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 AM   #338
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso
I'm still debating if this will work, though, because I'm on a major arterial street, so it's fairly bright outside, even at night. I'm worried it's bright enough that they won't flower.
Even if you have a lot of ambient light, it probably won't affect them too much, and you can also bump up the phosphurus levels with fertilizers (prefreably organic, tastes and smells better) to force flower them.

Have you ever seen the pumpkins from Alaska, they are huge due to the longer duration of light they recieve but have obviously flowered because they have produced a fruit/seed. Of course long duration of low light levels could cause some serious stretching and may result in a weak spindly plant with a very small yield.

I say try it, rhizomes aren't that expensive and you could get a few pounds of great homegrown hops off of them. And if your a hop head like me, it's your chance to brew a wet hopped IPA like I will definatley be doing.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #339
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangj
Do you know which types they are going to sell?
Sorry no. My guess is it will be a pretty broad selection. Dave was busy taking my order for some summit hops and dealing with a Fed Ex truck that had just showed up so not much time to chit-chat.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 PM   #340
FSR402

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

I just placed an order with these guys for hop rhizomes.
I orded
2 Cascade
2 Centennial
1 Fuggle
1 Perle
1 Hallertauer
1 Mt-Hood
1 Northern Brewer
1 Willamette

I don't remeber hearing anything about these people on here so I may have just pissed away $50. But I just I will find out in the next 8 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cad View Post
Its nice when you and your friends have comparable equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
some people will tap anything that has a hole.
Buy Two Fisted Brewing gear

Quick Reply