Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop Project Update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
foonder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hop Project Update

I just did some major & much needed maintenance on my hop garden today. I spent about 4 hours digging out the grass & weeds & plants that've grown through the mulch I put down, trimming my hop plants leaves & scraggly weak shoots, and laying down 2 more bags of mulch. It looks 1000% better now.
In some weird cosmic kind of strange timing, I was asked for updated pics on the trellis & whatnot, so here they are:
Full view of trellis:

Side view of trellis:

My Chinook guys:

My Centennial guys:

These are all first year plants, and all have started to produce cones, Especially one of the Chinook plants. It's got cones exploding out all over the place. I will make another post with some noted pics.

Beer + Weird Stuff = Awesome

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congrats on getting cones from first growths.

At the same time, if I'm reading the photo scale correctly, that trellis is about 1/3 the height it should be. My guy wires are about 15 or 20 feet high, and my second year transplants reached the tops long ago, then proceeded to flounder about and duck back down before snagging onto another guy wire and making it back up that one.

To me, it looks like that trellis is maybe 7 feet high at best. Either you need to go horizontal to another identical trellis 15 feet away, or you need to go higher.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
foonder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here are some pics with notes on it so you can better understand the dimensions & design of the trellis, and the way the hops are growing:

Front:

Side:

Centennials training:

Chinooks training:

I used different colors to illustrate different bines. The chinook on the left is the strongest of the plants (it gets sunlight first). The centennial on the left is the weakest (gets sunlight last). Left chinook is the one with cones all over the place.

If anybody wants any sketches, or has any questions on anything, lemme know.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 PM   #4
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

awesome, my chinook is doing the same thing

I'm back!!!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
foonder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Congrats on getting cones from first growths.

At the same time, if I'm reading the photo scale correctly, that trellis is about 1/3 the height it should be. My guy wires are about 15 or 20 feet high, and my second year transplants reached the tops long ago, then proceeded to flounder about and duck back down before snagging onto another guy wire and making it back up that one.

To me, it looks like that trellis is maybe 7 feet high at best. Either you need to go horizontal to another identical trellis 15 feet away, or you need to go higher.
This would be awesome if I wasn't 21 and living with my parents . I did the best I could with the space alloted. The way I trained the bines & designed the trellis net gave it extra length, I horizontally trained them from the beginning but only when there was enough length to have it growing straight up. Once it grew a few more feet up, I would train it across back in the opposite direction and have it pointing up to grow upwards again. I did this over and over until the cones started popping up, then I let the bines be so I wouldn't disturb or break any.

EDIT: Is that......Sam Calagione in your avatar pic...?

Last edited by foonder; 07-15-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Quick Reply