Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop Poles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Situation is everything as you have seen from the above posts. Maybe you could post a pic of your planned situation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Andrea
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default http://www.crannogales.com/hopsmanual.html

PAge 22 and 21 with pictures in the book
http://www.crannogales.com/hopsmanual.html

Has a picture of a tipi like single pole Like I am trying to visualize your set up or horizontal with two poles.

Spacing is determined by how willing you are to prune the errant emerging bines

Old 02-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #13
winstonofbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
WOW!!!
I like your setup! It looks like your plants are no more than 2ft apart from each other.

1 question, In your video you said you got the top of the fence poles. Are you talking about chain link fence poles?

What kind of $$$$ do those run? Or is that something you can find at the scrapyard fairly cheap?

Guess that was 3 questions...Sorry.

Will try to get a pic of where i am looking to put my hops online tomorrow night. It wont be the best pic, Just got my camera phone.

Thanks again for everyones imput. Any other pics of other peoples setup would be awsome. I am looking forward to my weekend priceing stuff out and hopefully getting lucky on finding something fairly cheap but useable.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1061 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

No problem. My plants are actually about 3' apart, it's deceiving in the video. Frankly, if you have the same variety next to each other, you can run then a foot apart because it doesn't matter if the side arms intertwine. If you've got a Warrior and a Saaz too close together, harvest is going to be problematic to say the least.

The (chainlink) fence poles are the top horizontal ones and are sold in 10'-6" lengths at HD/Lowes but you can slide one inside another for 20'. I think they run $9 a piece. If you're lucky, you can snag some old pipe when someone rips out their chainlink to replace with wood or vinyl fencing. That's where I got mine. The 20 year old stuff tends to have wall thickness of almost 1/8" which lasts forever and won't bend. You can also find it in 21' lengths.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
winstonofbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Havent got to garden cleanup yet
What you see to the left on the fence is a blackberry bush that i plan to well....Its going to have a bad year.
The brown spots on the right, Well thats spent grain...Just been dumping it in the garden area where ever it lands.

Basicly i would like to lay fabric down in that area next to the shed and have the hops in containers in the ground. The soil isnt the best right there so i figured i would go to the store and get some good soil to throw in there to help make sure they get a good start.

If you have any ideas on what i can do with this area that could be helpfull, Please feel free to give me your imput.

By looking at the pic if you go from the corner of the shed to the lawn that is what i was going to put for a hop area.

Just hope i have enough room.......
If not plan B is to basicly use the entire back of the garden. Just didnt want to take away from the garden space to much and figure out weeding/rototilling

Right now all i have is a hallatour/tettnag rhizome spoken for right now.
I am looking for pearle and i want to get maggnum, ammarillo, and a plain tettnang.
So if anyone near washington has any of these and would be willing to split up a bit, I would be more than happy to pay shipping

Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #16
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used 4x4 treated 16' lengths for my poles, I mounted them on Concrete piers with the metal yoke to secure the base of the pole. Then raised to vertical (nearly 17' at the top) with Eyelets at the top for securing lines and the top line (to hold the vertical climber rope between posts). 3 securing lines per end pole (2 on the sides and one on the ends) and 2 on the middle poles. The line connecting the tops goes through a loop at the top of the poles and then down to another eyelet on each pole to adjust top tenssion.

Worked great last year in 70-80 mph winds... well I did have one bine that broke it's climing rope.

Seemed to be high enough and the plants were 6' appart (same species) and 8'-12' appart between species. This will alow me to split the root and double the plants next year and still have 3' between plants and 6'+ between species.

There should be a picture on here somewhere of the set up if you dig into the pictures of hop garden posts.

Cheers

Old 02-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Ceg
Recipes 

Bobby_M, Thanks for sharing this video. I like your idea for poles.

Reason: Post did not show right.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #18
MrH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The (chainlink) fence poles are the top horizontal ones and are sold in 10'-6" lengths at HD/Lowes but you can slide one inside another for 20'. I think they run $9 a piece. If you're lucky, you can snag some old pipe when someone rips out their chainlink to replace with wood or vinyl fencing. That's where I got mine. The 20 year old stuff tends to have wall thickness of almost 1/8" which lasts forever and won't bend. You can also find it in 21' lengths.
Funny that you posted this. I can't view your video here at work, but your description sure sounded familiar

Here's a photo of my trellis from last year. I wasn't quite finished with the guy ropes. The poles actually have a 3 point guy support. I used two of the 10' poles with an eye bolt through the joint to hold them together. For the base, I cut a pole into 3' sections and drove a section into the ground to support each pole. At the top, I used an end cap with an eyelet that I used to attach the guy ropes. I used a larger eye bolt near the top to run the support rope between the two poles, and left enough length at the end of each support rope to be able to lower the bines for harvest. This was the first year, so I only got about 8' of growth. Expect a lot more this year. We had some pretty serious wind last season and the trellis was very stable. The best part is that at the end of the season, I removed the poles, stuck the end caps over the base poles, and there was no visible trace of the trellis. You're not going to easily get 20' of height with wood. Yes, I know I could have used trees (we have dozens of 100'+ firs and hemlocks), but there weren't any that were quite in the right spot to run a line between and still get sun...
trellis1.jpg  

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #19
Padronis
Recipes 

I have 3 rhizomes on the way this year. I was thinking about using EdWort's idea and expanding. Use 2 tripods made of 1/2" or 3/4" EMT and running rope in between them like you did Bobby.

As for other people's thoughts on grey "electrician's pvc", I have seen that stuff get very pliable and even turn brown in a few weeks of Texas sun. I wouldn't recommend it

Old 02-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #20
nicadrick
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Has anyone built one of these? Curious to see a real photo. I am not to keen on the collar design.

Comments welcome!

Quick Reply