Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop Pole Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
msu09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hop Pole Question

Hey Guys,

I'm growing my second year of hops and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a hop pole improvement. My hops are currently planted in my garden and I need to put up two poles asap. Last year I used two 12 feet poles that had wire connecting them (about 10 feet apart). Then I ran twine to my plants to create a Teepee like structure . They had about 15 feet to grow up. They were a pain to train and I want to do something new this year. I was thinking about using two of these poles (http://www.lowes.com/pd_110521-215-1...7C1&facetInfo=) and creating something like I've seen Edwort use (3 plants running vertically to a pole). I don't really want to buy flagpoles (way too expensive) but these are just right. Any idea on if they will hold up? If so, how deep should I sink them ? I put my poles last year into a larger ID piping and hammered that into the ground. It was surprisingly stable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I would try them. all the weight is vertically. Get lightning there? I was hit twice in the last few years but my top wire is on rebar pounded into the ground. I wouls sleve them into the ground around 3 ft into maybe pvc? Make it easy to remove if needed. Good luck.

Got Hops?

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
msu09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Holy crap... lightening? I didn't even think of that. Is that normal? By sleeve, do you mean just have the pvc in the ground and put the poles into it? Or do you mean cover the entire pole?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use one of these. It works great is easy to take down and is lite.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
msu09
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That looks awesome! I'll have to get one. It looks like it extends in pieces and I'll be able to get it into my car. Otherwise I was going to have to get my father-in-law to bring his truck over. Hopefully it doesn't get hit by lightening!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
rangrr4834
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu09 View Post
That looks awesome! I'll have to get one. It looks like it extends in pieces and I'll be able to get it into my car. Otherwise I was going to have to get my father-in-law to bring his truck over. Hopefully it doesn't get hit by lightening!
The Harbor Freight pole retracts and comes in a box about five feet long, so it should fit in your car. I ordered two of them for a trellis and they appear very sturdy and should work well.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

PVC in the ground, I did it with my flagpole and works great when the rope breaks. Lightning is not typical, My field is a stand alone and looks like a WWII radio df finder. Not much else in the area to hit. Surprisingly last year it got hit in Aug and did not damage the bines. I will not go near it in a storm!

Got Hops?

Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Daniel1980
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Another idea would be to find someone that might have had one of those old analog T.V. antennas. I used my dads he had left laying around. The poles telescope, are sturdy and free is my favorite price.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
bierandbikes
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used two 10' lengths of rigid conduit (3/4") and connected them to make a 20' pole. Then drove a larger diameter pipe that I had into the ground about 30 inches as a sleeve. Put one of these at each end of a 20' bed with galvanized cable connecting the two. The cable is attached to an eye bolt at the top of each pole. There are metal rings attached every three feet on the top wire with twine drops (I can lower each twine drop individually or lower the entire top cable). Hopefully lightning will not be a problem, but if so I hope that the pole will conduct the electricity into the ground without the need for additional lighting/grounding rods. We get some high winds so once the hops are up, it will be a test of how strong the poles actually are.

Brew Pedaler Aleworks

Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Good point in the wind, I did not think about it on mine and my rows go n to s and the wind usually comes out of the west. Sometimes it looks like a sail near the end of the season, Lots of undo stress on the trellis, kind of surprised that I did not snap a pole yet.

Got Hops?

Quick Reply