Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop Pests ID thread: Pics, descriptions and solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Zymurgrafi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Hop Pests ID thread: Pics, descriptions and solutions

In an effort to help folks growing hops I thought it would be useful to have a thread with information to help ID pests and problems associated with hops growing. The aim is to include as many pics and descriptions of any pests/diseases and possible solutions. From the rare to the mundane. Considering many folks may be gardening for the first time nothing should be considered to basic.

I will also start a thread where you can post pictures for ID'ing something not posted here. This thread will only be for positively ID'd pests/problems. Once a picture has been postively ID'd it can be posted here with appropriate commentary.

I think that it would be best to use picture taken by members of HBT as it is always possible that outside links can go bad, or what not. So there you go. Anyone have any contributions to make? I will start. We can edit and add as we go along.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Last edited by Zymurgrafi; 09-15-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Default Hop Aphids

These are hop aphids in the cone.

Hop Aphids will suck your leaves dry and lower your cone yield. Leaves will turn brown and curl. They will be found under the leaves, or as seen here in the cones if they go undetected long enough. Note the black spots along with the aphids in the photos above. This is sooty mold.

Quote:
The aphids also excrete a carbohydrate-rich substance known as honeydew. Honeydew serves as a good medium for the growth of sooty mold fungi...
For more info on Hop Aphids you can go here

http://www.ag.uidaho.edu/PSES/Research/r_ent_hoppest_hopaphid.htm

As far as solutions go it isn't too easy. You can blast them with a hose early in the day when they are on the leaves. Once they are in the cones, not much to do. In my situation there was no sign of them all summer. Somehow they arrived and went wild while I was waiting for the cones to ripen. Guess I was not vigilant enough during that time.

Lady bugs and asian lady beetles will eat them however they spread fast. I had a pretty healthy population of lady beetles/bugs and the aphids still got the upper hand.

Another option is lacewings. I think you can buy them. I may try that next year.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Last edited by Zymurgrafi; 09-15-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: work in progress

Old 09-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Default Japanese Beetles

Japanese beetles are a pretty common pest it seems. I picked them off all summer. Unfortunately nw that I have decided to document them I cannot find a single one to photo. So if anyone has a pic let me know.

Here is what they do...

Best way to deal with them is to pick them off every morning. They are slow in the morning and you can flick them into a container of dishsoap and water. As the day warms up they are harder to catch and will fly away. You can use traps but often the traps will attract more beetles than they catch.

Another preventative measure is to purchase beneficial nematodes and work them into the ground in the late spring/ early summer. These are organisms that will eat the over wintering grubs that will hatch into beetles. They won't stop adult beetles. If you have beetles one year it would probably be a good idea to do this the next season.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had japanese beetles this year and caused me all sorts of headache (I killed them with Sevin but then my hops were attacked by spider mites since I killed off their natural predators with Sevin).

I flicked them off the plants as well but next year my trellis will be much higher so that won't be an option so I'm still investigating. I'm going to put down Milky Spore or beneficial nematodes this fall or upcoming spring but that will only take care of my yard, they'll still fly over from neighbors yards.

I read that you can use neem oil on the plants and that will deter the beetles for a few days. Also looking into a product that you put in the soil and the plants pull it up into the leaves and that will deter the beetles, I'm still trying to remember the name of it (was shown it at Menards) but I'm betting it won't be useful for a food crop like hops.

I'll try to find some pictures of spider mites. I used Mite-X on them and it screwed up my hops, cones and leaves all turned brown before harvest (I did get some useful fuggles).

I can't find pictures of my spider mites, so I found some online attached below.

They say planting garlic will keep spider mites away, but it didn't do it (got a nice crop of garlic though). My plan next year is to continue to plant garlic, but also find some plants that ladybugs like and plant those around the hops as well, ladybugs will apparently eat aphids and mites.

mite38.jpg   mite39.jpg  

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Last edited by conpewter; 09-15-2008 at 03:42 PM.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
DeNovo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Anyone recognize this guy?

Found him on my Mt Hood at harvest.

Got almost 8 oz wet from a second-year planting (dried to 3 1/2). This critter peeked out of an obviously damaged cone. These things were pretty rare this year, but I found one in the Cascades too, and I don't like the idea of finding a dried one floating in my wort! I do want to keep the planting insecticide-free; better a dead caterpillar than the flavor of toxic alkyloids...

Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
xpoc454
Recipes 

I had japanese beatles on my first year plants also. I used Pyrethrin based insecticide on them and was extrememly suprised on the good results.
I didn't notice much of an insta kill on the beatles, cause you basically sprayed the stuff and the beatles just fell, like they do if you spray them with water.
What I did notice was the beatles did not come back for at least 10 days.
Pyrethrin is made from the African chrysanthenum flower and so I would consider it organic. It also apparently breaks down very quickly. It says you can eat food you have sprayed inyour garden 1 day after spraying.

Next Up?-Some more Morebeer.com beers

Primary-Secondary1-none
Secondary2-none

In Bottles-Morebeer's extra special bitter
Morebeer's american pale ale
2008 and 2007 cherry berry mead
2009 Cider

Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
salad 419
Recipes 

This is a PEST. The common household dog. Sure, it's funny, but I'm not laughing.

and this is what happens when one chews and steps on hop bines

I'm definitely not a happy hop farmer. Good thing I have two other Centennial plants or I'd be super duper upset.

Primary: NONE :(
Secondary: Barley wine, RIS, Palisade Pale Ale, Burnt Mead
Drinking: Local water test Red Ale, Kolsch, Northern Brown Ale, Homegrown Chinook IPA, Dunkelweizen, Cherry Bran Muffin, Citrus Salad, IPA, Cherry Stout

"And Ultimately....... Who Gives A F@CK Anyway?"- Frank Zappa

Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
stromam
Recipes 

Default Please confirm my diagnosis

Hello Hopheads,

I believe I have a case of spider mites, but I want to be sure there isn't anything else going on. I did see some tiny webs on the back of the leaves, but I couldn't get a good picture. I also have a couple other critters I'd like some help identifying.
First for my Goldings:

And my Hallertau:

And the insect I found hopping back and forth between my hops and my grapes. I'm not sure if this guy was causing the hundreds of holes in my leaves, or if it was eating the meanies that were. Anyone know what it is?

And lastly, this guy jumped off the leaves I was photographing above. He is pretty tiny, but can jump pretty far.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Primary #1: Nothing
Primary #2: Nodda
Secondary #1: Nothing again
Secondary #2: Even more nothing
Bulk Aging: League of Nations Imperial IPA (keg)
Bottle Aging: Banana wine, JAO Mead, Bohemian Pilsner
Drinking (bottles): Strom's Belgian Wit, Halfawiesen, Amarillo IPA
Drinking (keg): Corney Cream Ale

Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #9
flyerwire
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromam View Post

And the insect I found hopping back and forth between my hops and my grapes. I'm not sure if this guy was causing the hundreds of holes in my leaves, or if it was eating the meanies that were. Anyone know what it is?

i found a few of these guys between my hops and my pole beans

Old 07-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

That green guy looks like a grass hopper.

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

Quick Reply