Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop Harvest

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
Brewdad422
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Default Hop Harvest

I have some 2 year old Centennials, they got a good start and I have a substantial amount of cones already. Now what I am not sure of is when to harvest?

I have many large cones but there is also many, many flowers getting ready to form. I'm in PA and I really have no idea when to cut them down for harvest.

My thought was to wait till fall but now I'm not sure what to do.

__________________
Brewdad422 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delton, MI
Posts: 1,174
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Sounds like the PA growing season has been fantastic for many hop growers!

The way that I've always harvested has been by look, touch and smell. I touch the cones to feel for papery leaves. I look for the tips to begin to brown. Finally, I smash a bract between my fingers and smell it. If you know the hop you'll know the smell. After a few harvests you'll only have to use one or two of these methods to pick.

If you already have some full cones and some fuzzy flowers, you won't be able to chop it down and harvest the whole thing at one time and expect a good crop. You'll have to select the best when they're ready.

Good luck, and if you wind up with more centennial than you can use put me at the top of the list

__________________
cuinrearview is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #3
Brewdad422
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
Sounds like the PA growing season has been fantastic for many hop growers!

The way that I've always harvested has been by look, touch and smell. I touch the cones to feel for papery leaves. I look for the tips to begin to brown. Finally, I smash a bract between my fingers and smell it. If you know the hop you'll know the smell. After a few harvests you'll only have to use one or two of these methods to pick.

If you already have some full cones and some fuzzy flowers, you won't be able to chop it down and harvest the whole thing at one time and expect a good crop. You'll have to select the best when they're ready.

Good luck, and if you wind up with more centennial than you can use put me at the top of the list
I was just checking them tonight and some of the lower ones that I can reach have brown tips, the higher ones are hard to tell. It is about 17 feet high and the plants grew about 3 feet past that. I might try to stand on a ladder to check the higher ups. I don't think I will be able to spot pick, I'll give it a few weeks here and see how things are progressing. The one I picked tonight was very full of the yellow stuff.

We had a lot of rain in May and then later in June it got very warm, things shot up very fast, now we are having more rain and the garden is growing like crazy. This will be my first harvest so I'm hoping for a good crop, especially since these are hard to come by lately.
__________________
Brewdad422 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
mrkristofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mrkristofo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Behind the zion curtain
Posts: 941
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Sounds like its time for me to test the AA's. Send me a PM.

__________________
Coming Soon:
Primary: Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08
Secondary: Oaked Arrogant Bastard
Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while
mrkristofo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
HomerT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wixom, MI
Posts: 558
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

You can test AA's?

__________________
HomerT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delton, MI
Posts: 1,174
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

I can test AAs as well on any of the "three C" hops and also any of the noble vareities.

__________________
cuinrearview is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Soulive's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Middle of NJ
Posts: 4,331
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewdad422 View Post
I have some 2 year old Centennials, they got a good start and I have a substantial amount of cones already. Now what I am not sure of is when to harvest?

I have many large cones but there is also many, many flowers getting ready to form. I'm in PA and I really have no idea when to cut them down for harvest.

My thought was to wait till fall but now I'm not sure what to do.
I harvest mine whenever they're ready, regardless of how late into Fall we are. They're ready when they are bigger and start to look yellow. The yellowing comes from the development of the lupulin glands. You can test them by smell if you pick one and rub it around in your hands. If it smells like citrusy Centennial hops, they're ready...
__________________
Cheers!


===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber


EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count
Soulive is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
HomerT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wixom, MI
Posts: 558
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
I can test AAs as well on any of the "three C" hops and also any of the noble vareities.
How exactly?
__________________
HomerT is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Desert_Sky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Desert_Sky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Posts: 4,090
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerT View Post
You can test AA's?
sure, let me make a pale with a few ounces and Ill report back
__________________
Desert Sky Brewing Co.
Sierra Vista, AZ
Desert_Sky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #10
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delton, MI
Posts: 1,174
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerT View Post
How exactly?
My method is similar to Chimone's
__________________
cuinrearview is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hop Harvest kontreren Hops Growing 8 07-01-2009 03:20 PM
First Harvest GilaMinumBeer Hops Growing 26 08-02-2008 12:17 AM
Harvest? betch Hops Growing 2 07-21-2008 07:04 PM
UK Hop harvest. Orfy Recipes/Ingredients 1 09-30-2007 02:24 PM
My first Harvest Ale!!!! Grimsawyer Recipes/Ingredients 0 09-12-2007 06:31 AM