Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop growth rate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Brewer3401
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Hop growth rate

I planted about a month ago, and they sprouted, but are not continuing to grow - very green and on a trellis line.

Should I be fertilizing more ?

Fermenter: -0-
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: Blonde ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The growth pattern of hops is driven by day length. If they are 'very green', you may just be past the peak growth period for your area and all you can do is wait for next year.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
The growth pattern of hops is driven by day length. If they are 'very green', you may just be past the peak growth period for your area and all you can do is wait for next year.
Yes' they are very green - looks like suspended animation.

I tried 2 other vendors, and got the last 2 rhizomes I could find from Strange Brew - very superior to what I got from other 2 guys

I would recommend Strange Brew for rhizomes - will get 6 next year and go from there.

Thank you for your information - I'm in South East Louisiana - they get about 6 full hours of full sun per day.

Fermenter: -0-
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: Blonde ale

Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Kind of a thread resurrection, but I planted a bunch last year and this year. Their growth rates have varied widely, with virtually identical treatment of all of them. Some have had striking growth rates, while others are just puttering along. I think I've planted about 30 rhizomes from various orders, and have 24 live plants now. Some have grown only a couple of feet thus far this year. A few are at least 15 feet, and showing burrs. One Nugget, planted last year, was slow to start this year, but grew at least a measured 4 inches today! It grew 2 inches overnight, and 2 more from 7 this morning to 6 this evening. Impressive!. I planted them with a mix of compost and our native clay, haven't fertilized at all, and am way behind on weeding, and this thing is just shooting up!

I bought rhizomes this year and last from Freshops, Bader Brewing, Adventures in Homebrewing, Northwest Hops, and Northern Brewer. They all grew except the one from Northern Brewer, which was shipped with an order of a bunch of other stuff, and got beat up. It never sprouted. I think it was just treated too roughly in transit. I do think the Freshops rhizomes were the most substantial, and the best sprouters. I'll turn to them first if I need more rhizomes. However, it would take some serious bug damage or winter kill to have me shopping again. With 24 live plants, I think I'm set for a while.

Quick Reply